Home Chat General Chat

Genral thoughts for those who own a Trek 1000?

Hi

I got a Trek 1000, bought it second hand, its a pretty neat bike, but I'm not very happy with the wheels, the wheels seem very susceptical to go out of true, is it me or does everyone have the same problem? Should I change the whole wheel set or just the back wheel? Is there anything that I can do to prevent the wheel from going out of true?

I'm just an average 5ft9, weighing about 144lbs so I'm pretty small and light! Any suggestions ?

Thank you

Chris

Comments

• ive got a trek and would also like to know the answer

from my (allbeit limited understanding!) is that factory wheels are not very good and therfore do need replacing if you are going to take triathlon more seriously
  • mark26mark26 Posts: 10
    The first bike I bought for my first Tri was a Trek 1000 same problem with rear wheel going out of tru mind you I am 6ft 3in & a healthy 16st. Still using it as a run around.

I did buy an Equinox 9 a few years ago with the Botanger deep rim racing wheels & no problems apart fm the odd puncture!
  • mini__Cmini__C Posts: 44
    What wheels would you recommend??

• hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    I had exactly the same problem, Im on my second 1000 and use bontrager racelite wheels that were recommended by my local bike shop, Bikes of Inverness. It definetly solved the problem, Im 6ft 4in 15stones.

However I think choice of wheels depends on how serious you want to take things and what finance will allow. Better still, as this seems to be a common complaint a ffew emails to Trek might get a result as I find the 1000 to be a great bike.
  • AlgarniAlgarni Posts: 46
    I have never had a Trek but I did start with a specialized Allez and the same problem with the back wheel.

I got my bike shop to call Specialized after the third time I was in to repair the problem (in a space of 6 weeks) and and they replaced the wheels at no cost.

I would definately makein known to Trek and see if they can fix the problem for you.

• JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    What the heck is out of tru?
  • mini__Cmini__C Posts: 44
    like when your wheel is a bit "Wonky" and the wheel doesn't spin straight, cause its ever so slightly bent!