Home Chat General Chat

how to impove on the bike?

Hi

Pretty new to triathlon, but how do you actually improve cadence and speed on the bike? I average about 78-85 with about 29-30k/h over a course that has 110m accsent and decent....thats not very impressive....but got any tips?

Does having a TT bike really make one go a lot faster, I'm not taking aero position into account....how much quickier would I be looking at??

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    There are loads of books and websites that will give you detailed plans and instructions for improving your cycling (and swimming and running). But it all comes down to training. The way to improve is get out on your bike and ride. If you are a beginner that is going to give you longer term more lasting improvements than buying a better bike.

Mike
  • rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    Lance Armstrong's first coach said you could spend thousands getting a lighter, faster bike or you could expend a little extra energy and lose 5-10 pounds through hard work, which will make you lighter and faster in everything you do. My wife likes it when I take that sort of advice and don't sit around pining after very expensive bikes and components.

Speed on the bike often comes through a combination of working on your cadence (in a nutshell, spin faster in a lower gear), endurance (maintain a faster pace for longer periods of time) and strength (having the strength in your legs to keep up the higher pace, switch up to higher gears and still spin at a faster pace, in all kinds of conditions - wind, hills, tricky curves, quick starts, etc). That's roughly the order I've been working on things this year - first cadence, then endurance, then strength - and my practice times have been improving steadily. Of course, we'll have to see how it goes when I start racing.

The Cyclist's Training Bible (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclists-Training-Bible-Joe-Friel/dp/1931382212/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/026-7277870-1174866?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179917201&sr=8-2)

and The Triathlete's Training Bible (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triathletes-Training-Bible-Joe-Friel/dp/1931382425/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-7277870-1174866?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179917201&sr=8-1),

both by Joe Friel, are books I have found very helpful. Many have told me they find these books to be a little too dense and complex for beginners, but these were the first two books I read and I personally like his style of writing (good stories about real training scenarios) and the wealth of information in them. I like to skip around, read different sections and come back to it every couple of months. Maybe others can suggest other good books for beginners.