Home Chat General Chat

bikes with aero or not to aero...

HI

I'm still very new to tri...yet to do my first tri at the BUSA triathlon event in may....anyways, I've been wondering for a very long time about this...here it goes:

IF there are specifically designed tri bikes with aero-bars, why do the elites who do olympic distance use road bikes?? instead of going for the time trial type tri-bike??

Would it be suitable for me to use a road bike for sprint~olympic distance, rather than a TT bike?

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• I think it depends on a few variables to be honest...

I would suggest that the majority of folks new to Tri use anordinary road bike for their initial event(s). Many use whatever bike they have so you see a good number of mountain bikes too.

I used a road bike last year and will be doing so this year too. I have added some retro fit aero bars but to be honest I haven't used then much and I'm considering taking them off again.

Time trial bikes make a difference but at a hefty expense and at the standard I'm competing at it would not make that much difference. A mate of mine has just qualified for the GB age group team at European Duathlon Championship in Edinburgh later this year and he was using a road bike (with aero bars) and kicked a lot of TT bike riders into the long grass. At the end of the day Lance Armstrong would kick my backside riding a kids tricycle against me on a many £k TT bike. Whatever you ride you still have to pedal it...

If you go for an aero approach I think you have to practise in that position which I haven't felt comfortable doing and for that reason I think they won't add much to my performance.

Enjoy your first Tri...

Cheers

Craig

• PC67PC67 Posts: 101
    I definitely find aero bars a help, but they're not the be-all and end-all. They defintely make you more aero dynamic and if you're cycling into a head wind it helps you "pierce" the air a bit, though sometimes I think that just being closer to the ground makes you feel a bit faster.

However, one definite benefit for me - purely personally speaking - is that it gives me an extra option. Over a 40km race I'd say I spend roughly a third of my time in each of the following positions: using my drop bars, using my aero bars and using my brake covers. The ability to change position makes a ride that bit more comfortable.

I'm a fan. I even have them on my hybrid commuting bike, even if they do look a bit stupid. Craig is right: you do need to practise in that position. Initially you feel really unstable but after time it's second nature. This is why I have them on my commuting bike.

I only have £35 Profile aeros but they're fine.
  • pdundepdunde Posts: 99
    elite events are draft legal, and the rules only allow specific short areobars (Profile hammer etc). Some do use aero frames (such as Felt B2 - emma snowsill used to ride that in 2006) but with dropped handlbars and short aero extensions.......so its a case of rules are different for elite events.