Home Chat General Chat

Dodgey adverts on here!!!! ADMIN!

Come on admin....as moderators of this site shouldnt you be looking a bit closer and erasing all these naff adverts for ipods, shoes, fishing accessories etc. Im fed up getting a subscription notification in my inbox only to find its some rip off merchant trying to sell a load of cr*p without paying for some advertising space. Why not immedietly cancel their membership and erase the ad in question. Makes my blood boil[:@] Anyone agree? Rant over

Comments

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    I AGREE.IT HACKS ME OFF.This is a triathlon forum.we dont want to know about that sort of stuff.were a community,we dont need outsiders advertising there electricals here for free hoping we will fall for it.WE ARE NOT STUPID AND WE AINT PUTTING UP WITH IT.
  • It's very hard to catch all the spam. I know because I have some forums of my own.

The spammers use automatic bots that go and register a new name and post a spam post. Usually, you'll notice the spam poster only has 1 post. It's not a real person, it's a computer program doing this.

Since they register new usernames every time, you can't just ban them. And, they use proxy IP addresses, so you can't stop them by banning the IP address. Besides, there's a whole bunch of them.

The only way to stop them is to come up with some obstacle at the registration process that bots can't overcome. Which is called a CAPTCHA. Unfortuantely, most bots know how to crack any common CAPTCHAs.

The only way I was able to stop these spam bots on my forums was to disallow new members from posting links. The forum software wouldn't allow new users to post links until they had a certain number of posts. That cut down spam on my forum by 99%. It seems the bots would register, try and post a link, and it would get denied.

Anyway, my point is don't get too mad at the admins for the spam. It's very hard to stop.
  • Fair comment Scott. Lets hope admin are reading your post. Some sites have a type of hologram that you have to copy before logging in?
  • I agree with hound dog. Anything that can be done to block these spam posts would be great. A good way (if possible) would be prevent new members from attaching links.

Like 99% of us here- I want to discuss tri specific issues not buy a mobile phone or Xbox or whatever[:'(]

• hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    As a loyal subssriber to 220 magazine I think its only right that admin should at least post a message on here to explain what if anything they are doing about this spam issue.

They never seem to get involved in their OWN forum. I for one hardly bother looking on here when I get notification in my inbox as all it seems to be is an ad for a load of counterfiet junk.

Come on admin, do you even look to see what the views of your subscribers are!!!!
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    Theres more of the bleedin thing again.bloody stupid it is.
  • hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Got fed up seeing shoesnew05 in my inbox so decided to take a look. Good to see your keeping on top of the spam admin, NOT! seventeen spam posts!!!