Home Chat General Chat

Major Contraversy!

13»

Comments

• No my hybrid was grey/silver! Dont get the red thing. Just bought a nice BLUE trek.... They didnt do a grifter in blue with spokey dokeys
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Continuing the drift away from the point -why did the twist gears on Grifters and the like have a "neutral" between first and second? Was there some technical reason? I still have scars from falling off a bike with this type of gears, when I didn't get second when pedalling round a corner.
  • I have a vague recollection of wanting a bike a mate had... it had a computer thingy on the handlebars (perhaps in the shape of wolf???), as I have destroyed all my brain cells through drinking, does anyone else remember a bike like this? or is this another one of my imaginary things?

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Oh, this really makes me want to organise a 'Crap-Tri'. Beach shorts only in the pool please, retro-bikes (no drop bars, Sturmey archer gears only) then mandatory Green Flash or school plimsoles for the run.

If you can't get a retro bike I might allow anything you bought in Toys'r'Us or Asda, max £100 budget.

My neighbour has an original and mint special edition chromed Raleigh Chopper. Just imagine me hearing treefrog chasing me down, then reaching down to the gear lever to click it into third. Bitchin'.
  • Hmmmm Chopper..??? [8|] would give a whole new meaning to the word Aerodynamic [:D]
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Does anyone have any adaptors so I can fix some clip on bars to my grifter as the damn cross bar is too wide and cellotape is not strong enough to hold them or are aerobars banned in Bopo's crap tri,or can I leave my basket on the front(purely for nutrition holding purposes),aero stabalisers allowed or not then?

Seem to remember a photo of one the early London tri's where a couple competed on Choppers,sure it was the sprint distance,but if it was the oly then 'respect'.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Sorry jon.E, bikes must be original and completely un-improved. Baskets, back racks and panniers are permitted for carrying food & drinks only. The only Aero Bars I'm allowing will be as nutrition. Pop a couple in your basket to keep you going.

I've decided to opt for the first and original MTB... my old Raleigh Bomber.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

Bopo - fabulous idea! Should be a hilly sprint course...!
  • I am definately up for this!!!!! there should be a budget... i have a wetsuit that cost £25 somewhere in the loft would this qualify
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Or just have it in the local pool just as school finishes so as many kids are in there as possible...
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    So my re issue Chopper (so to speak) won't be eligible?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Now, this should be the ultimate machine...

.. Apparently, the world's first bike from 1818.

[image]local://2493/8FCA2FB9A275450C9C4AB927BBAF0415.jpg[/image]
  • Check out the aero wheels! Someone was ahead of their time with those bad boys.
    And Grahem Obree thought he was cutting edge with the handlebars once his superman was benned.
  • can't help noticing that there're no pedals. I hate it when they try to sell you a "ready to ride" bike that has no pedals. Clearly, in this case the designer couldn't decide between Look or Time pedals. Other than that - 8 spokes, aerodynamic, revolutionary - must be worth at least £4k. Shame it's not red.

that saddle could well have been knitted though.
    What is that under the seat,a wireless powertap,way advanced.

Keep the rules for the crap tri race as simple as possible,

1.all equipment must be at least 20 years old.(I do have a 20 year old cycle helmet but it may cause more injury in the case of an accident).

2.No carbon unless it is burnt wood to reduce the weight of the bike frame.

3.No asssistance

4.Any lycra must be flourescent.

5.only water and bananas for race nutrition.

6.In order to pay homage to tri beginnings ,nudity may be allowed in the transition area.

any other suggestions from the sublime o the ridiculous.
  • Ha, almost spat juice over my keyboard when I read #6!

Could you have a system whereby the more gears there are on your bike, the greater your time handicap?
    MrSquishy wrote:

Ha, almost spat juice over my keyboard when I read #6!

Could you have a system whereby the more gears there are on your bike, the greater your time handicap?

Agree with that one,sturmey archer 3 speeds max gearing,no fixed wheels with a greater than 53 cog.
  • Obviously the trainers have to be green flash or black plimsoles!!!!

I really think we should try to arrange this as an event.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Just re warming an intersting post from the dearly departed Mr Frog.

Are our responses still the same?
  • have i slipped through a wormhole????
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Aahh! The whiff of nostaliga.

Well, I am glad to say that I did do an off road duathlon on my 1992 (well, that's _nearly_ 20 years old) MTB.

And scotty_burrows did do a tri on a pink shopping bike in plimsoles etc.

[img:3kv9pwph]http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs169.snc1/6360_153696929847_595024847_3504587_5648277_n.jpg[/img:3kv9pwph]
  • vetboyvetboy Posts: 21
    I've always felt with tri that we can each pick our level and compete to the standard we chose for ourselves. I'm tackling Ironman WA this weekend, and it has been HUGELY expensive, but it's been a life dream and while I've been trainingfor it, I've saved a fortune by not drinking much, and not having a social life. I could have done it cheaper, but I could afford the kit, and I wanted carbon fibre. My choice to pay that much.

I think the most important thing for people entering tri's is to learn proper etiquite - learn how to not interfere with the big guns, how to seed themselves well for the swim, etc. Then everyone can compete together and everyone is happy. One of the things I've always loved about tri is the inclusive nature, and the way everyone helps each other out.

For people who can't afford the flash kit - use it as motivation. When I started on my old second hand bike, I'd make bloody sure I chased down the bloke in front with the disc wheels and aerohelmet!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I thought the frog was back when this made to the top of the pile.
    I also made me think where the hell Mr squishy has gone!!!!
  • treefrog wrote:
    I'm going to be deliberately contraversial here and stir the pot! Here goes...
    The profusion of "cheapest" & "rip-off" flavoured threads lead me to surmise that many members have had little or no sporting background and indeed have got into sport later in life (better than never ... I know , I know!)
    There seems to be a bit of a mis conception that sport and exercise should be free and cheap, and yes it should be if you are doing noncompetitive sport or a bit of leisure/ fit for life activity. However if you get involved in competitive sportbe prepared to pay for it and be prepared to train properly for it - not have a brisk walk.
    Decent kit for any sport is expensive - you get what you pay for and UP TO A POINT better kit will return a better performance (due to better comfort, performance or ergonomics).
    There is NO SUBSTITUTE FOR TRAINING & FITNESS (regardless of kit) and a competitive athlete will have an active lifestyle (cycle to work, walks with family etc) and to do yourself justice at any event you have to do at least 1 proper hour per day every day
    Entry to all sports evnts is costly because it actually COSTS THE ORGANISERS quite a bit to stage them (they don't host them as a reward for all those people who train
    ...... and lastly triathlon is a very expensive sport (club rowing its just club membership travel fees and entry fees). In triathlon you have to pay all the fees and kit for 3 sports.
    If you turn up to an event on with speedos, a cheap dual suspension moutain bike and cheap canvas plimsoles you'll have saved money but you'll be TOASTED regardless of natural ability.
    Discuss (as I run for cover!)
    No "major contraversy" here, just an old Irish guy with an inferiority complex.........