Home Chat General Chat

Completely new to this...

Good evening all,

I've just entered the world of work, having had four blissful years of studentdom, and as part of it I've gone from being relatively fit to a wee bit tubby!

And I like a good challenge. I can (read could) run, and I like cycling, but I'm a self taught swimmer and as such it looks like I'm drowning - but with forward motion.

So I thought a good way to learn to swim would be to have a bash at a Triathlon, get past my expanding waist, and have something to focus on.

Swimming lessons start on Wednesday evening, and once I've got my bike sorted I'm planning on riding to/from work (11 miles - it's got to be better than the tube!) and maybe once I've got a few more miles under my belt taking on the run to work.

But my big question would be: when can I realisically be in a position to enter an event and not be pulled off the course for taking too long?

Also - any advice on training materials? I did the Cardiff marathon a year ago and went about training the wrong way - just ran about 10-16 miles three times a week for about 2 months before - and now have the tightest ham-strings in the world; not a mistake to be repeated!

Based in SW London.

Thanks.

Looks like I might get my housemate to do it too; it's always nice to have a training buddy - although he used to be rather good at the swimming... ah well, healthy competition!

And sorry if I'm repeating questions others have asked; I did have a bit of a forrage through the search section, and couldn't quite find what I was looking for

Comments

• Hi - welcome to tri. Definitely enter an event. You will not be pulled off. I can seriously recommend the tri sport epping try-a-tri for a first event. Everyone is a noob and you'll be fine. Website: http://www.trisportepping.co.uk/ Be warned though - it will make you hooked on the sport.

As for your run training, I would just start building up the distance slowly. At this time of year, there's no point trying to kill yourself with volume (distance) or intensity (speed/effort). Base fitness is what you need, and the ability to train and race without injury. In other words, your goal for the winter should be to get yourself into a position whereby you can undertake longer and more intense sessions in the spring, if that makes sense. Just enjoy it. Where in SW are you? The Thames path, Battersea Park, Richmond Park are all great places to run.

• WellaWella Posts: 188
    Hi there.

I followed a 12 week training plan for my first tri and that's a reasonable time for completing a sprint distance. Ideally get started as soon as you can and use the extra weeks as developing the base fitness and technique in each discipline.

As for taking too long, don't worry about it as the great thing about tri is the mixture of abilities taking part. And the last person finishing also gets the biggest cheer!

I did the St. Albans sprint tri for my first one. Not too far from you and its well priced and well run too. Decide on the distance, then the event and tailor your plan to suit.

I'm training for a marathon now and know what you mean about the hamstrings!

Wella
  • ILMAKRILMAKR Posts: 20
    Wella wrote:

I'm training for a marathon now and know what you mean about the hamstrings!

Wella

Judging by your being a Super Member and what-not you're probably being pretty good already - but I can't stress enough about the streching; 18 months later and having done a fair bit of yoga in that time, I'm just about getting them back to where they where when I started.

Thanks for the advice - I'll look into that

• Wella

What is the 12 week program you use.

Thanks

Ben
  • WellaWella Posts: 188
    Hi Ben,

It was from the book 12-week Triathlete by Tom Holland. I followed the Sprint distance programme.

Wella