Home Chat General Chat

winter training

Hi i was just wondering what you will be changing on your training programs as winter starts. i have stopped running in the morning because i can hardly see where i'm goin[8D] instead i now turbo in the mornin. so how about you???????????????

Comments

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I stop training for 3 weeks( now already a week, pretty anoying, doing nothing). Only 3 softy sessions a week[:'(]

Then its back to slow training, building comfort and then distance for about 3 months.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    For this Winter I'm doing the following : I have targetted Half IM Antwerp as my main race this year (2008). Ultimateley I want to do Kona and this is a step in that direction. Last year I did IM Switzerland and learned alot. This year I'm going to follow the following programme until Easter time or even May and then start to rack it up1!

Mon : 1hr. Swimming, Tue : 70 min sculling, Wed 60km at 40kmh on the turbo, Thu : 70 min sculling, Fri : 20 km running, Sat : sculling race (15 min), Sun : club cycle (100km approx)

I'll do this until Easter and then up the ante with bricks, weight loss and race specific intervals. ps good luck in your training

• I know this is going to make me sound really lazy, but what about rest days?
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    Nothing lazy about rest days M.O.S., they're essential.
  • rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    Amen to that. Rest days are essential, and a vital part of the process of building yourself up to new peaks of performance.

Although, maybe treefrog considers the 15 min. sculling race a rest day. Well, anyone who does 60 km at 40 kph on a turbo trainer as part of their "light pre-season training" can do whatever they please.
  • well i think that i'll probably be taking too many rest days, i'll try not to but it's just so cold[&:][&:][&:]
    I take what I call natural rest days - if I dont feel up to it then I skip it, this happens once or twice a month, or if I have an unavoidable appointment I honour it, also the 70 min sculling the hour swimming and the 20km can be done at low intensity (but not ususally!!). I suppose I've been used to a high level of training for 20 years and its difficult to stop, I enjoy it what else is there to do?
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    I've decided that the area I can get most bang for my buck is to improve my cycling so I'm cutting the swimming back to one session a week, upping the cycling, & upping the running a little for a couple of end of season races I have. I'll start swimming twice a week again in the new year. For me I think that will allow me to show most improvement in the races I have planned. I'm going to try & incorporate a bit more stretching & maybe a few weights through the winter as well.

treefrog, you married?
    Of course not - can't guess why not!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    of course treefrog is married; to his bike that is[:D] (which isnt necessarily a bad thing[;)]).