Home Chat General Chat

Supplements

Does anyone else use any supplementation with their routine?

I use Whey, Fine Oats and occassionally Creatine.

Theres a whole host of stuff that one can use but im not sure if it works.

Comments

• I don't bother with anything other than a pint of milk as a recovery drink. After 17 years of weight-training and trying various supplements I came to the conclusion that they don't really work.
  • I use High5 protein recovery after a race or a long run/cycle. I find it does make a difference to my energy levels and the speed I recover at.

Previous to using High5, I would take days to recover after a race but now I'm back training the next day or certainly back to normal after 2 days. I think it works.

I also use High5 energy drink on the bike during the season and in a race. It's about £20 for a big tub and that lasts quite a while.

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I use caffeine before heavy (mostly speed) workouts.

A multi vit-mineral supplement now and then.

I alsouse glutamine before bedtime the days of heavy training to support recovery and immune system. Nothing beats up your routine like illness.

I agree with man of steel in that context that all things who promise wonders: they dont work.

On the other hand, like sarah, I know (and its scientifficaly proven), protein and carbohydrate supplements work. They offer a quick, pure and easy solution for nutritional issues, definately after race or training wheneating a big meal is not on your mind.

• I too use High5 carbs when racing and take some vit supplements for general health. Not really sure if they are doing any good or its just psychological as you cant go wrong with a healthy balanced diet and some forward planning.
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    All I use at the moment is a multi-vitamin suplement and a fish oil capsule. I don't take these every day just every so often and they are as a supplement as well as, not instead of, a properly balanced diet.

I think I do need to start looking at my nutrition during and after training training though. Something to get right over the winter I think.

Mike

• Anyone out there think that a well-balanced diet, full of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, water, and lean sources of protein provides plenty for an active athlete?

Just wondering if maybe anyone else feels that nutritional supplements are a big con, taking our money with vague promises of improvement in health which could be delivered much more effectively through our normal food intake, and probably being offered in unnecessarily high does (e.g. 500-1000 mg vitamin C)?

Anyone?

(And, I am differentiating here between nutritional supplements and sports drinks/gels/bars. I don't think those would be classified as nutritional supplements, but as things you eat or drink for hydration and energy required by your activity.)
    I can follow your thinking and agree to some point, but i'm sure that sometimes things don't go like you want them.

And what about for example creatine: do you really eat the kilo's or lean red meat to meet the mg's for working doses. I'm sure you won't deny that creatine really works. Do we really need it in these amounts? No, but thats not what this question is about.

Of course, a well balanced diet is a necessity, but supplements (and you are right, there are a lot of money spinnersout there) can help you out sometimes.
  • Well, I would concede that there are some supplements out there that have a clear and specific benefit. I don't know anything about creatine, but I have taken Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplements (at the advice of a doctor) and Spirulina (because it said it was a miracle-wonder-amazing-panacea on the label, and, yes, I'm just as muchg of a sucker as the next person). Personally, I don't think I train or compete at the levels where I would see much specific improvement to justify the expense.
  • dsk699dsk699 Posts: 20
    Whilst obviously everyone reacts differently to supplements, proteins, multi vits etc, I personally have found that certain supplements take my training throught the roof. Whether it be creatines and protein combinations for strength training (my favoured being MMUSA creatine serum and Maximuscle's Cyclone), or Amino acid stacks, caffeines and carb/ electrolyte drinks to aid performance on an aerobic level. But supplements are just that- supplements. They should supplement a balanced and healthy diet and not replace it.

Happy training

• Ive used a combination of different supplements and found that if I used them consistently and trained consistently then they produced some pretty good results, the problem comes when they are used on and off or for the wrong training type. For most triathletes I would suggest supplements along the lines of carb type drinks to help with the sustained periods of training and recovery proteins to repair muscle.

If they are used right then they can bring some good results although it is still important to remember that these are additional to your currenty 'healthy' diet.

It will be pointless taking something like high5 recovery protein drinks if your dinner was fish and chips, and at the same time if you dont eat breakfast then something like a high 5 energy drink before a morning run is also likely to be less effective.
  • Well said!

The only breakdown product I can think of is creatinine. Could this be it?

• I use a maximuscle recovery powder, which seems to work really well. I coach tennis so aftera work out I usually carry on working so I have to have energy whilst on court. This stuff really has made me feel better and better for longer. Maybe It's in my head?
  • I get where this guy is coming from, and he can't be a mug if he's telling prem footballers what to do. I suppose if we all ate regularly and got a good nights sleep we'd all be a lot better off!
  • I use Multivitamins, zinc&magnesium, glucosamine sulphate and try to maintain a healthy diet. I did use creatine but tended to retain too much.

I product i keep meaning to use again is N02, it was designed for body buliding but can also benefit distance athletes.
    The breakdown product is creatinine, but not all liquid forms are broke down within the half hour. You're right, the first generation, namely made with creatine monohydrate are rubbish; worth nothing if you take it liquid or make it and leave it for a half hour, heavy on stomach and really hard for lots of people on bowls(correct word in English?) and kidneys.

They new generation on the other hand, gets rid of these negative things(except the kidney attack). I'm convinced they work, when used correct doses and timing.

On the other hand I have to agree with conehead: good rest and sleep and a (almost) perfectly balanced diet will get you further than just 'supplements'(hence the name).

P.S.: maybe we all have too much time on hands; shouldnt we be training right now???[:D]
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I tried Optygen once - waste of money although I was very fit & lean at the time!
  • I use PhD supplements, and I've found them to be really useful, they just give me the boost I need - https://www.phd.com/active-health

• I've also used SiS supplements and they're good too - https://www.scienceinsport.com/shop-by-need/athlete-health