Home Chat General Chat

Running in the dark

Wondered if anyone had any recommendations for attaching lights t yourself during a run!!

Obviously I use all the reflective stuff I can but wondered if I might get a head torch or something like that as i run in small tracks and backroads.

Anyway anyone recommend anything please?

Many thanks

Comments

• Have a look in an industrial supplies place? They have some good lightweight bright head torches at reasonable prices. Meant for various trades but also good for sport.
  • You can get lights that strap to your head - a bit like a miners light, but designed for runners. I've not tried one personnally because I tend to stick to reasonably well lit areas after dark and I think it would ruin my night vision and actually make it harder to see where you are going. But that's just my opinion. Other people like them.
  • The bike light that came out best in a recent group test in 220 could be used for running. I think it was the Exposure Joystick Maxx.
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    I have an Exposure Joystick that I use on the bike and when I am running. I do some of my running in totally unlit lanes around Somerset and the light is great. It is slightly annoying to carry it in your hand so I might see if I can find some way to head mount it. I think it is possible to get head bands that have straps that I could use, I don't want to get another light when this one is so good.

I also have a small rear bike light that I clip to my back. I think I am more likely to get knocked over from behind than I am from the front.

Mike

• I'm not sure if the helmet mount can be fitted to a hat. But if it's that dark, nobody would notice you running in a helmet. [:D]

[image]http://www.use1.com/exposure/uploads/Joystick-MaXx-on-Specialize.1.jpg[/image]
  • GGGG Posts: 82
    Mikey is spot on there. I dont use a a white light, but i clip my bike back red light onto my shorts when I go out running. Even though I run toward oncomming traffic, some lanes are narrow and I dont fancy being hit from behind.
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    Man of Steel wrote:

I'm not sure if the helmet mount can be fitted to a hat. But if it's that dark, nobody would notice you running in a helmet. [:D]

No chance! My route takes me past one of my local pubs. With the smoking ban I quite often see people I know standing outside. There is no way I am running in a cycling helmet. [:)]

I use the handle-bar mount on my bike anyway.

Mike
  • If you are going to go offroad/X-country i can totally recommend the Petzl Myo XP head torch. It doesn't weigh much, gives loads of light in both wide beam and spot, and had oodles of battery time, and it also has a great boost feature which on the spot setting can reach up to 100m if the batteries are fresh....great if you get lost [8|]

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=554

JT

• Nice one MickeyB Had a laugh at your reply. I think Id rather run into something than run about looking a bit like a martian [:D]
  • chischis Posts: 94
    Ha ha ha - like hound dog I cant stop laughing at your reply MikeyB - no offence MoS - the helmet might come in handy if you stopped off at the pub for a few jars mid run and then ran home a bit worse for wear!
  • I have bought a ‘Firefly’ light from RoadID.com">RoadID.com. Small and very bright light in a variety of colours , more for visibility so people can see you, they pretty much clip anywhere pockerts, shorts, colar.

The company also do great dog tags and shoe tags. I never run without one now, It is always good to have emergency contact details on you when out training in the dark, just in case of an accident.

Although they are a US company they ship to the UK for about £2.50. And with the dollar at about 2 to the pound , they work out a great price too at the moment. I found out about them when I lived in Chicago. I have bought a couple of bits from them since I moved home to the UK and they provide a great service.

For a headlamp I have run with a Black Diamond head lamp try here . Was recommended to me a couple of years back , quite comfortable , but not too bright Uses 5 leds.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I had a headlight by the brand Petzl, which was quite handy for running.

I'm not sure, but I guess they still make and sell these things.
  • Here's a way to attach the Exposure Joystick to your head without too much embarrassment: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360024798&N=Action%20Cameras%20Head%20Strap%20For%20Mounting%20ActionCam
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Try two lightweight petzel led head torchs - solid light facing front and a flashing mode facing rear. The bright flashing white lights on the rear grab far more attention than red or solid white light.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 2
    I run in country lanes at night and use Petzl Tikka Plus headtorch and think it's very good. It's lightweight without a battery pack at the back and doesn't slip at all when running. The angle is adjustable and it can be changed between flashing (good where there is other lighting as traffic can see you more easily) and steady on. Think they cost around £30.
  • You need to be carefull attaching Exposure Joystics to your head because the lamps emit quite alot of heat, so i dont know if this strap will protect you sufficiently from that? A proper headtorch is definately the way forwards [;)]
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    I used to use a Petzl Tikka plus and found it was fairly good but I was given a Black Diamond and it is excellent - I do very early morning runs in the Aberdeenshire countryside, including a lot of forest trails. The Black diamond lights the track with no hassles.

It has a small battery pack which is on the rear of the headband - this helps balance the weight (although it really isnt very heavy at all) but also means you seem to get a longer battery life because the manufacturers haven't had to worry about the batteries being built into the lamp unit.

This is my second winter using it - bearing in mind that up here in Aberdeen we are now down to 17mins of daylight per day!