Home Chat General Chat

new beginings

Hi to you all,just been reading a few and looks like a great forum.

I am new to the world of triathlon but coming from a background of running and long distance cycling,having just completed a ride this september from John O'Groats to Lands End in 12 days covering 905 miles.

Anyway i am now running upto 10 miles and cycling upto 20 miles and have just started swimming sessions with a local club.The only thing is i would like some advice on how to start putting it all together.

It's all great doing one each day but where do i go now.

I have three events booked for next year,two sprints here in Weymouth and olympic in London.

Look forward to speakin with you.[:)]

Comments

• Well, the best thing you can do is keep doing all three of those disciplines in a steady, enjoyable, progressive way. I would recommend you join a triathlon club in your area. If there is not one close by, then get a book or two on the subject - I like Joe Friel's other books and "Your First Triathlon" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-First-Triathlon-Joe-Friel/dp/1931382859/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196258497&sr=8-2) sounds like it might be good for you. Also, I've heard good things about "Triathlon 101" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triathlon-101-Karen-Smyers/dp/0880118113/ref=pd_bbs_sr_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196258497&sr=8-8) and have ordered it for a friend for Christmas, so I hope it's good.

There are lots of things that make triathlon different than swimming, biking or running on its own - not the least of which is that you are going to be doing them all together in those races you have signed up for next year. Clothing, equipment, variations in technique, the "fourth discipline" or transitions from swim to bike then from bike to run, are all things you will eventually get your head around. The best way to do it is with advice from others more experienced than you (tri clubs, books, web forums like this) and through your own experiences. The main thing to remember is that we all went through it, we all have some funny stories to tell about newbie mistakes we have all made (and probably didn't think it was so funny at the time, say, trying to pull a tight cycling shirt onto our wet backs after coming out of the swim and into the bike section, getting all tangled up and nearly tearing the shirt to shreds in frustration, and then taking home the lesson that a trisuit may seem expensive but is well, well worth it). So, get out there and have fun and ask lots of questions.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I'djoin aclub if I were you.Did tri two years on my own, then joined a club. Much easier that way.
  • well im now new to tri and hasent come from a physical back ground and will be starting in the new year so im wondering what event will be good for a novice of my age.

And is there a tri club near harrogate in yorkshire
  • Many thanks for the advice so far.Thankyou rpopper for the books of which my wife has ordered for xmas.As regards a club does anyone know of one in south Dorset?

[:@]