Home Chat General Chat

Half Antwerp

Hi guys particularly Benny. What help or information can you give me for IM Antwerp - where to stay, course profile, disc wheel or not, temperature of water, temperature of Summer, accommadation where??? and where to eat and have a LARGE GUINNESS or two afterwards? Thanks

Comments

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Well treefrog, here goes:

The official site is: http://www.sport.be/antwerpironman/2007/eng/

It used to be a race, the first two years, organised by Marc Herremans, you'll probably know him: he's a Belgian triathlete, who was going to win IM Hawai, until he had that biking accident. Neverless, he still realised his dream by becoming world champion in the wheelchair division in IM Hawai. He organised this race to raise funds for his organisation: 'to walk again'. Now the race is officially an IM 70.3 race.

It was won this year by Marino Vanhoenacker, who I think will win IM Hawai in the next few years. The year before, a Brit named Andrew Johns(?) won in blistering heat.

As for places to stay: If you're looking for some camping, you know with tent and all that stuff, I'd recommend the following adress, because It's at the starting place of the race(less than a mile):

Camping De Molen

Thonetlaan - 2050 Antwerpen

Tel. +32 (0)3 219 81 79

Fax +32 (0)3 220 86 77

If you want a hotel,I have no experience in them in Antwerp, since it's less than an hour driving for me. You can check them out here: http://www.antwerpen.be/eCache/BEN/16/440.html

As for weather, I'd say you guys are used to the same weather as we are, in August it goes from 15 to 35° and everything between that. It can be very hot like two years ago in the race, but on the otherhand you can also enjoy some famous British rainy days. As for water temp I'd go with the wetsuit cause the swim is in a part of 'de Schelde', which is actualy connected to the north Sea.

The bike course isvery open and most of the time very windy, so I dont know if you'd use a disc wheel. Members of the club I'm did this race and the only thing they complained about was the strong wind and the numerous potholes on the bike course. There are a lot of train-crossroads(is this good English?) on which lot of people get flat tyres.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to ask my mates from ITC.

Maybe we'll meet each other on race day, cause I hope this will be my first half IM race.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Thank you for this Benny, its great help!!