Home Chat General Chat

Total Immersion

2»

Comments

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    hi 3

breathing is for wimps anyhow !!!!

no really thanks for the idea but i have got to crack this before it cracks me up completely .. i now aim to hit the pool most days for the next 4 weeks and practise things like a possessed thing on drugs ... so long as i remain focused i will get there

madnurse
  • duphduph Posts: 13
    [left]One month since my TI workshop.[/left][left]My stroke is certainly far more efficient but my stamina is reduced. I have had to reduce my pool time and distance. I suspect I had a weak core, core strength which is essential for TI swimming, I am going to stick with TI but just like anything worthwhile it takes hours of hard work!!![/left]
  • TIUK_IanTIUK_Ian Posts: 6
    The Finis is great for allowing you to complete multiple switches without altering your rotational position for the breathing. Only problem I've found is it's not long enough or angle right so you have to lift your head to keep it clear, and that means it's altered your body position so that's not so good!
  • 3speed3speed Posts: 16
    ian,

Thanks for that. The chief coach here bought a few for the club last month - I'm sure he did'nt envisage a problem. I'll try and get my hands on one over the weekend and give it a try..... We use a lot of paddy garratts flaotation drills here so head position is quite important to us as a club.

Incidentally are there any ti instuctors in south wales? and how does it feel swimming in one of those endless pools? Is it like running on a treadmill?

andrew
  • TIUK_IanTIUK_Ian Posts: 6
    We use a lot of paddy garratts flaotation drills here so head position is quite important to us as a club.

Incidentally are there any ti instuctors in south wales? and how does it feel swimming in one of those endless pools? Is it like running on a treadmill?

I know of Paddy's floatation stuff, kind of fit's well with what we do. No TI instructors your way i'm afraid. The nearest would be Kev & Sarah in Cheltenham.

The EP is quite like swimming in a normal pool, so it's not to swimming what a treadmill is to running. Only takes a couple of minutes to get used to it. But I can't overstate how powerful it is as a teaching tool.

Cheers

Ian

• madnurse wrote:

hi 3

breathing is for wimps anyhow !!!!

no really thanks for the idea but i have got to crack this before it cracks me up completely .. i now aim to hit the pool most days for the next 4 weeks and practise things like a possessed thing on drugs ... so long as i remain focused i will get there

madnurse

Hi Madnurse

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your breathing but glad that it is starting to come together for you now. We actually had a thread up on the TRI TALK Forum not so long ago about how to develop your breathing and get over the "feeling uncomfortable" obstacle which you might benefit from having a look at on http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=198290&highlight=#198290 . The whole thread continues for about 10 or so postings about various aspects of improving your breathing and will detail you with the "how and why" behind that awkward sensation of breathing to your right hand side with some useful tips and drills to try - these are bulletted at http://www.swimsmooth.com/freearticles.htm#BREATHING for your reference.

May I also suggest that your body position may still be suffering due to what your legs might or might not be doing as well? I use fins with my swimmers on a daily basis for certain drills to help promote good ankle flexibility and this may be one of the reasons you benefitted so much from their use the other day - however, don't become "addicted!" Here's some useful considerations for your leg kick which might help you out a bit http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=128981&highlight=#128981 and the visuals at http://www.swimsmooth.com/documents/Road%20to%20Kona.pdf might also be beneficial for you as well.

Anyway, Phil, good luck with it and have a good season!

3 speed, with respect to the Finis Snorkel, I just bought one of those and a few other bits and pieces from Paddy up at Ponds Forge the other week and I must say they definitely have their uses. However, I thought I'd be all "gung ho" and stick the orange "breathing limiter" device on the top and try it out for 500m as a hypoxic tool...boy, did I know about it after 300m!!

Thanks

Paul