Home Chat General Chat

Turbo trainer or rollers?

Hi,

This my first year of tri and thus I'm discovering new stuff all the time, I thought I would be able to pretty much ride all winter, but this year seems especially cold and my cycling is suffering.

I've been looking at indoor cycling equipment and as far as I can tell I have two options, a turbo trainer or rollers. So, which would people recommend, on first impressions I'm leaning towards rollers as you are still using gravity.

However, I'm open minded, some product suggestions will also be useful.

Grant

Comments

• tony btony b Posts: 57
    Some people think rollers are good because you still have to balance on them - two things here. If you ride your bike even occasionally you're not likely to lose this skill, and they are not a substitute for riding on the road anyway, away from the wind and corners etc. So go for a turbo, where you can really concentrate on pedalling technique and pure effort of pushing hard on the pedals (great for interval training), with the added benefit of being able to adjust the resistance, and not just relying on changing gears.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    You're both right (although I use rollers). Although riding of the rollers isnt that bad, if you get of them you just stand still, climb back on and there's no real problem ( even takes out the boredom and gets that adrenalin pumping, cause it looks like you'll fly through the living room if you fall off[:D]).

I suppose you can call the biggest advantage the resistance you can change.

I'd say the biggest advantage of rollers is the price. I bought minefor approx. 10£.