Home Chat General Chat

Second Bike for Turbo

Hi,

Im new to the world of cycling and triathlon, I have just bought myself a Felt F55 and a Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll Turbo. I don't want to use my shiny bright felt on the turbo as one of my mates said the sweat will corrode the bike etc.

So I am looking for a reasonable specced bike for £400-500. I have looked on ebay and find it a pain in the butt to be honest.

So any ideas will be gladly received.

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Get a 100 quid secondhand steel framed hack and spend the remainder upgrading your premier steed.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I'd say go with the answer treefrog gives ya, it'll give you the most benefit.
  • use your current bike, get a fan and a sweatnet.
  • chischis Posts: 94
    Hi caturnbull

Definitely go for the cheapo hack to put on the turbo. Look in your local press for a cheap second hand racing bike - no need to go for anything fancy - you could get what you need for £50 - 100. The thing about your turbo is that you want it to be ready when you just fancy hopping on to it. If you have a decent bike on the turbo the tendency is that you keep having to take it off because you want to ride out on the road on it and then you have to put it back on again and this is a pain.

chis
  • pigletpiglet Posts: 86
    I would go for an Ebay bike. There will be someone wanting to upgrade or are out of the sport now. Try to get a frame that's as similar to what you are riding on and make sure you have it set up properly for the turbo, especially if you are going to use aero bars for time trial type training. One area you don't have to worry about is decent brakes or highest quality gears. You may find a good frame with older gear/brake set up which you wouldn't use for road but is fine for turbo. I used a training tyre on my road bike but found it a total pain having to take the bike off and change tyre every time I wanted to go out on the road. I'm doing road training only now (turbo in Scotland and I am in Australia), but when I get back I am thinking of doing exactly what you are doing- great if you have the dosh to spare.[:)]
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    If you have £400-£500 to spend it might be worth having a look at the Ribble winter/training bike, I have one of these that I use for the Turbo plus in the winter it saves getting the race bikes dirty