Home Chat General Chat

Did you earn your M-Dot?

In the June issue of Triathlete Magazine a writer called out Ironman Chris Hauth and said he is not an Ironman, and neither is anybody else who didn't qualify and finish Kona.

Check out Chris response to this growing controversy at [color=#333366]www.tdottriathlon.com[/color].

Comments

• RobRob Posts: 209
    Ha! I don't care whether the guy thinks any race outside Kona is a real 'Ironman' or not. When I complete IMUK in August I'm going to call myself an Ironman, AND get a tattoo as well! I've put the training in, I've made the sacrifices. I don't care whether you finish in 8 hours or 17 hours, you deserve to call yourself an Ironman. In some ways those that finish in 16-17hrs deserve it more. They're the ones who have to tear themselves away from family, work for a living etc. & spend probably 6-7 hours grinding out a marathon at the end of the day. If you've ever watched the tail enders dragging themselves over the line at the end of a race you'll never deny them the title of 'Ironman'.
  • Stu-munStu-mun Posts: 8
    I think the man rob is right and i'll be in the same boat on august 19th and hopefully getting my ink a few days later. Ive read about the whole Hawaii snobery in Triathlete and I think its b##'''ocks. Anyway lanzarote is a harder race so ironman snobs sshh please.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I know this thread is out of circulation for some time; it even was started before I joined this forum.

But I couldn't help it, I have to answer on this one. I was actually shocked to read this kind of arrogancy. I never saw anything like it, this stuff really sucks, it drips conceit everywhere[:'(][:'(][:@].

This really ticks me off, such lack of respect for another is definately not posted by a 'real' triathlete.

I hope I never have to encounter such person.
  • I totally agree with all the above. The thing that impressed me most coming into triathlon was the camadrie (I know that's spelt wrong) and sportsmanship. I remember helping and getting help from others in the transition area, and more than that the pride when I finished.

The banner at the top of the tdot site says it all for me One World, One Sport, One Symbol for All.

It's sad that there is anyone who calls themselves a sportsman who has this dismissive attitude...
  • I think the really insidious undertone to the Ironman controversy (which has been going on for years and years, from what I've read) is the ownership of the term "Ironman Triathlon" and the Ironman logo by the World Triathlon Corporation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Triathlon_Corporation), and their licensing of the logo and the word "Ironman" to other organisations who want to put on such an event. Strictly speaking, no one can use the word "Ironman" inconjunction with a triathlon event unless they have paid the appropriate fees to the World Triathlon Corporation. You can, however, have an iron-distance triathlon, a full-distance triathlon, a long-distance triathlon without having to pay WTC anything. Just not an Ironman triathlon. Apparently, the same goes for "Ironman 70.3" or "Half-Ironman".

So, I for one am not so surprised that some elitist idiots will come along and say that there is such a thing as a "real" Ironman or a "fake" Ironman, because they might feel justified by the commercial stance of the WTC. Bunch of nonsense, if you ask me, but my fellow countrymen working in the US legal and corporate worlds have been responsible for some pretty ridiculous stuff, and this is just one example.
  • I've not even got as far as an Olympic Tri yet so i probably have no right to comment, but i'm going to anyway.

My in-laws live in Sherborne, the location of IMUK so i have had the priviledge of watching them compete. Also, my best man at my wedding (where else?) is planning to complete an "ironman" in a year or 2 and has been working (his ar5e off) to a 3 year plan just to get in good enough shape to complete it, and he's one of the fittest people i know.

For those reasons, everyone who completes an "ironman" has my total and utter respect and deserves to tattoo the logo in the middle of their forehead if they so choose.

For me, i'll be a very happy man when i cross the line after my Olympic distance race.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    cheezypees wrote:

For me, i'll be a very happy man when i cross the line after my Olympic distance race.

Which is an accomplishment . We all should support each other in the way of life that we choose, not diminish eachother.
  • w[quote]ORIGINAL: Rob

Ha! I don't care whether the guy thinks any race outside Kona is a real 'Ironman' or not. When I complete IMUK in August I'm going to call myself an Ironman, AND get a tattoo as well! I've put the training in, I've made the sacrifices. I don't care whether you finish in 8 hours or 17 hours, you deserve to call yourself an Ironman. In some ways those that finish in 16-17hrs deserve it more. They're the ones who have to tear themselves away from family, work for a living etc. & spend probably 6-7 hours grinding out a marathon at the end of the day. If you've ever watched the tail enders dragging themselves over the line at the end of a race you'll never deny them the title of 'Ironman'.

[/quote

Amen..... well said Rob,

I think you totally summed up in 1 paragraph exactly what amature triathlon is all about.... Taking part and personal achievement.

I'm a new dad who works 6 days a week in all winds and weather to make ends meet, every race i finish regardless of the distance is an achievement in my eyes.

Anyone who takes part should get a pat on the back....

Lee