Home Chat General Chat

Marathon before IM

Just want to throw this out there. I have done 3 IM's and every year I have done a marathon in the last 12 weeks leading up to IM. this year I am thinking of skipping the marathon and just doing a 32km as my longest run. I would appreciate some input as to what you think.

I have 15 weeks to IMSA and if I do the 42k then that week after the race I will be pretty useless. The 32km won't hurt as much.

Comments

• scott298scott298 Posts: 122
    you answered your own question !!

if you do a marathon you will need to recover from it, when you could be training!!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I used to do a marathon every year in my hometown at the end of June. Then I did two oly-tri's, one end of July and one half august. I felt that I didn't recover fast enough from the marathon to complete the tri's in the way I should do. That's why I decided to skip the marathon and will try the half marathon. I think it will give me faster recovery so I can start the triathlons with full potential.

Thats my experience, though of course I understand there is a big difference in my olympic distance and your IM!!
  • feesfees Posts: 28
    I have worked out my training programme and have pencilled in the 32km (20 mile) race as apposed to the marathon. It is in Feb so i will let you know how it works out. Quite a mission planning 16 weeks of IM training sessions for morning and night. Plus this year I have to consider a 10 week old daughter!