Home Chat General Chat

105 v's Ultegra v's Dura-Ace

It's getting near the time when I need to replace my 10 spd 105 chain and cassette.

I have been happy with my current set up but would like to upgrade if the expense would be worth it.

My concern is that I am a 'heavier' triathlete at 15 and a bit stone and would like to know if the higher end of the shimano food chain are as robust as the 105.

Any advice apprieciated

Comments

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    i wouldn't go for shimano chains if i was you as they are pain in the butt and these days the quility is only in the dura-ace and unfortunently thats going down hill aswell.I would go for KMC or a Wipperman.Best place to go is http://www.wiggle.co.uk for that.
  • Thanks for that, another brown box from wiggle to sneak past the wife then!

Any views on the cassette?
  • you shouldn't notice any real difference in robustness between the 3 gruppos, certainly for road riding there's not much in it.

Lightness/aesthetics yes, but not longevity/strength.
    just remember.Lower friction smoother pedling.Stick to that and youl be fine.In terms of cassetes 105 is a popular choice with a lot of roadies.wouldn't recommend going for ultegra.not much difference to be honest and only go for dura-ace if you quility and titanium.As a cycle engineer,just making my recommendations.up to you
  • I've got a Dura-Ace 10sp cassette going for around £35 inc postage if you're interested. I won it in a competition, and it's only ever been out of the box for looking at! I'm away for the next week, but if you're interested, post a reply & we can get in contact when I return.
  • Thanks KarlOnSea.

If it's either a 12-25 or 12-27 will be very interested

TTX PRO, thank you for your input, had toyed with the idea of KMC chains. How easy are they to part /reconnect?
  • Hi there.

On the other hand, if the cassette is a ten speed 11-23, then I'll gladly buy it off you.

You can get me on andrewgturnbull @ hotmail . com (remove the spaces).

Cheers, Andy

ps Re: the original poster. I wouldn't touch shimano chains with a barge pole - the joining link is all too easy to get wrong, with disasterous consequences when you snap your chain... You can pick up a very good quality SRAM 10 speed chain from Chain Reaction Cycles at the moment for £25. Shimano cassettes are fine though. Stick with 105 if you're not worried about the weight - the shifting performance is identical across the range. Personally I find Ultegra a good compromise between value for money and performance. Only go for DA if you can get one cheap ;-) or if you're loaded.
  • ps If you replace your chain fairly frequently (say twice a year for the average rider) then you won't need to change the cassette.

pps There is a school of thought that says to replace your chain before every race to get maximum efficiency. Michael Hutchinson recommends chucking a cheap (£10) chain on, and treating them as disposable items. But what would he know...
    KMC chains have are very easy to put together and take apart due to the connector link.That goes for all wippermann chains aswell