Home Chat General Chat

£800 bike

I realise that these questions get asked all the time but I'm buyig a bike through my company's cycle to work scheme at Evans Cycles (Focus, Cube and Boardman bikes are out!) and need some help: I've been advised to get the best frame I can as the componenets can be upgraded - but what is the best frame? Lightest, stiffest?

I'm sort of torn between

Specialized Allez Elite (average components)

Trek 1.7 (better components)

But should I consider:

Pinnacle Espelands 1.0 or 2.0

Bianchi C2C Via Narone

Scott S20

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks & Good luck

Comments

• Apparently, you can get round these restrictions by just getting Evans to order the bike for you. Rather than sticking to what they stock.
  • PC67PC67 Posts: 101
    I use a Felt F75 (2007) which is now £750-799 on many websites. 12 months ago it was just over a grand.

Good bike, I'm very happy with it.
  • artikartik Posts: 26
    I am in a similar boat to you with about the same amount to spend. Best thing is to get sat on a few and take some advice from someone who knows what they are talking about in the shops. You can pay for this advice.

I have been looking for larger frame bikes which seem to be out of the normal shop stock but it seems that anything in the 50cm frame area is in stock. Dont know if that helps any but I am going through the same strife at the moment.
  • Hi

I can't really comment on the pros and cons of different bikes, but the one thing that you should definitely do is try to buy a 2007 model in the sales. All the main shops are selling off last year's stock at reduced prices at the moment so that they can clear floor space for the 2008s. Often there is virtually no difference at all between the 2007 and 2008 models other than a colour change or a couple of new components (which you can upgrade separately) but you can get some serious reductions. I got the 2006 Felt F4 bike for £1100 last January - reduced from £1700. There are now some 2007 Felt F4's going for the same reduction (i.e. £1700 to £1100) in order to make way for the new 2008 F4s at, no surprise, £1700. Most of the other bike makes have similar reductions.

Worth checking the websites of the main triathlon and cycling shops to check for their 2007 bike sales (Evans, SBR, Condor, NTF, etc.). Also, the only other rule is that you should never buy a bike without visiting the shop and getting them to size you properly against the bike - like clothes, different makers have different interpretations of bike frame sizes e.g. a Felt 58cm frame may be correct for a 6'2" person, but the same person may need a 60cm frame from another manufacturer.

Good luck

Mike

• i recon you could get evans to order a downgraded px pro carbon road which has rave reviews and might cost around that
  • scott298scott298 Posts: 122
    definatley get a 2007 or evan older frame if you can, the price would have dropped alot! just like a car losses its value over time!

but i have a planet x pro carbon and for a £1000 its a very good bike.
  • leigh35leigh35 Posts: 28
    Try Planetx you can find them on line through Google, they have a fantastic deal on there Stealth Bike looks amazing and is very well kitted out for £999, worth a look just ordering one myself!

Good Luck
  • bunongbunong Posts: 49
    Just to throw another complication into the mix. As I am another new member looking to buy his first bike - and only bike. I want the bike for training and racing. Should I get a standard racer or a time trial bike. I am buying on the 'cycle to work' scheme and so only have £1,000 to spend.

I took part in London Tri 2007 and posted 1:04 for the bike, this year I want to get under the hour on the bike leg. Does this mean I need a time trial bike, or just train harder?

Cheers,
  • bunong get a road bike. Leave the tri bike until you've done some cycling and some races and know what you really need.

Kinbar - In your position and at your price range I'd worry less about comparing frame stiffness and just get the one that fits you the best. You can have the lightest, stiffest bike out there but if it doesn't fit then any time advantage will be lost.

• check out www.triandrun.com they have an amazing sale on, on customer built bikes well within everyones price range
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    kinbar, give them a call and find out exactly which suppliers they CAN use. At my work they have the Halfords Cycle2Work scheme, which puts a lot of people off. I did some digging and found I could buy a Focus Cayo from Wiggle, or a Stealth Tri-Bike/Pro-Carbon Road Bike from Planet-X through the scheme, amongst many others.

Usually on Cycle2Work you can only buy current catalogue models, so those 2007 bargains from your local bike shop will probably be out of the question, which is a shame.

I am assuming that your company can't be arsed with the extra paperwork to allow the limit to go over £1000, so let's assume you have that much to spend. If you can afford it, go for the maximum: you still get the bike half price (if you are a higher rate tax payer) and get to rent it over 12-18 months, and get to pay £10-20 to buy it second-hand at the end.

Regarding your choice of bike: if it fits you properly, then ANY £1000 bike is probably going to be as much as you need for a loooong time. And if you decide to buy one online without trying it, then Google lots for bike fitting advice i.e. how to make the necessary measurements, and make sure the bike you buy is adjustable enough.
  • kinbarkinbar Posts: 15
    Cheers, everyone! Ended up buying a Cube Streamer (pushed the budget up a little). Hasn't been delivered yet so couldn't tell you how good it is!