Home Chat General Chat

Ironman 70.3 courses

bennybenny Posts: 1,314
In analogy with Bristol newbie's thread about Ironman advice, I'd like to know what people think about the 70.3 courses. Which ones are easier on the swim, bike or run section? Or, which are easier courses due to altitude, weather, ....?

I want to do my first HIM-race this season, but dont know which one?

Comments

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Does anyone know where I can find this?? Or does someone have experience on some courses??
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I'm doing Antwerp for the simple reason that the timing suits me, I'll also do the IRE MAN, an unofficial half IM distance close to me in N.Ireland. I don't really have the luxury of being able to pick and chooose my course, but I think its the best thing to do
  • feesfees Posts: 28
    I think you should just pick a destination that you would like to go to and race it. Don't stress about the course and trying to find the easiest.
    Hey fees,

I don't stress about the course, just wanted to ask the opinion of some people on the forum, who have experience with 70.3. Thats what the forum is for; swapping info.

I'm interested in UK, Antwerp and Germany, one of those three I wanna do, timing is no problem.
  • feesfees Posts: 28
    Sorry Benny I misunderstood.
    Hey fees, no problem man[;)]
    Another question; My A-priority race is an olympic distance organised by the club I'm in. It's only 10 miles from my home, so a lot of people I know are coming to watch. So you see, I wanna be the best I can at that race( idle as I am[:)]). But I want to do a Half IM this year for the first time too. Which one is the wisest: HalfIMbefore or after A-race? And how much time between them??

Thanks,

Benny
  • Benny

I have completed the IM UK 70.3 a couple of times.

Its a lovely race. The terrain is quite hilly, but the weather is usually cool. The swim is in a large reservior.

a great atmosphere throughtout the whole weekend.

There is a middel distance tri in Aberfeldy in Scotland which is also a good one to try. Weather is always crap but the bike is a good challenge.

Good hunting

• ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    Why not try the Lost Sheep in Kenmare, Ireland in Sept. A tough hilly course.