Home Chat General Chat

New bike advice - Emmelle

Hi,

I am new to the world of cycling and am looking to purchase a bike. I don't want to spend too much on one just yet until I get more in to it so have looked on Ebay, I have seen one which I like the look/price of but as I know nothing about bikes don't know if its a good brand - it's an Emmelle.

Anyone know if they are any good?

Thanks,

Comments

• Are you really new to cycling or are you doing some surreptitious market research? [;)]

Well either way...

Emmelle aren't the first name on everyone's lips when it comes to sports bikes. I think they mainly do kids' bikes and girls' bikes without the crossbar, etc.

The only Emmelle bike currently on UK Ebay which isn't either a mountain bike or a kids' bike is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Emmelle-Alpine-Classic-Touring-Bike-MENS-Blue-White_W0QQitemZ320211069168QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this the one you are looking at? For £30 you could have a ton of fun on that, but it will be relatively heavy. Also the gears are outdated but will presumably work. We all used downtube shifters at one time!

If you are on a very, very tight budget, and this bike is the difference between having a bike and not having one at all, then go for it. If you are looking to get serious about sports riding or triathlon then it's not the ideal race bike but it will be better than an MTB and it's a start. If I bought it I would replace the saddle, the silly safety brake levers and put on some Look pedals. Then I'd go for a ride and have a whale of a time!

If the bike I've linked to wasn't the bike you had in mind then post the correct ebay link and we'll have a look for you.

• shaziashazia Posts: 3
    Hey,

Here is the link to the one that I'm looking at [color=#800080]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOUNTAIN-BIKE-LADIES-EMMELLE-COUGAR-IN-GOOD-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ110218063483QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/color]

I am on a pretty tight budget at the moment, plus I don't want to spend too much on one yet because I might not enjoy cycling that much. I will be using it for a bit of everything, from commuting to work and also riding on hilly surfaces.

Do you think this one is any good for that?

Thanks,

• Phew - erm, well as long as the bidding doesn't go too much higher on either of these, they will be great for commuting. Plus you've plenty of gears for the hills.

I'm more used to advising people about sports bikes, and neither of these fall into that category but a couple of principles still apply:

Fit is the most important thing that will either make you love cycling or hate it. Most beginners think that you have to be able to put both feet on the ground when sat in the saddle, but you're making it hard work for yourself if you do that. The saddle needs to go a few inches higher than that. Also, check that the bar & stem position is comfortable, in that you are not too stretched out (unless you like numbness between your legs) or too upright (unless you like cycling into the wind acting as a parachute).

If you are intending to race then neither of these bikes are suitable but for the commute and a trip out to the country at the weekend you'll be fine.

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    lol.[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D].im sorry but ide rather have a saracen than and emmele and thats bad enough.try shoping around and see what you can get[;)]
  • TTX PRO wrote:

lol.[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D].im sorry but ide rather have a saracen than and emmele and thats bad enough.try shoping around and see what you can get[;)]

Was this supposed to be helpful?

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Avoid it its a generic framequite heavy and components that will werar out.I know this because I had one once and thankfully it was stolen!
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    IronJohn what i am am pionting out in technical terms is that emmelle used to do some good bikes back i the 80s and then went completely down hill just like saracen at the moment.secondly my advise of "try shopping around to see what you can get" is advise becouse its exactly what it says.If you shop around you might get yourself a good deal.Does that answer your question of "was that suposed to be helpful?"