Home Chat General Chat

getting started.

Hello, as the name suggests I am only just starting out on this exciting journey that it triathlon. I have been reading info re entering events but keep seeing registration info regarding a BTA license. Do I need one to have a go? where do I get one? etc????

Any/all help advice welcome.

You may has guessed that I'm also quite new to this computer blog thing too, so please be patient as I am a bit of a computer biff.

Comments

• Hi there,

You dont need a BTA license to enter races but you do a discount when entering races if you have one,

You also get other perks.

Welcome to tri,

Lee

• hbhb Posts: 22
    Hello Mate

welcome to the tri game. its hard but enjoyable so have fun
  • learnerlearner Posts: 100
    thanks for that, "perks" you say??? discount off entry fee you say. now i'm properly interested. i have entered the hayle sprint event in august so given myself loads of time to train. My background is a bit of cycling and a few half marathons, but thid running straight after getting off the bike is a giggle (well it made my neighbours laugh) Ive read about the swimming techniques and lengthening my stroke etc, what is the concencus start with this or just get some pool time in and tweek it when i can do a reasonable distance.

i a have thirst for advice so don't worry if your advice sounds too basic.

cheers.

• The best advice i could offer are....

1. plenty of 'brick' training,this will stop you neighbours laughing! this is cycle run, run, cycle run and so onn... all in one session. I dont have a turbo trainer so i just use a 3 mile traffic free route for my bike leg, i complete this then quickly lock my bike then run a 1 mile route ending back at my bike. I gradually increase my pace off the bike, the last half mile i run at race pace. Usually repeat 3-4 times.

This has really worked for me

2. You'll hear people here bang on about swimming technique and rightly so, i believe it is crucial. Good technique means energy conserved for the other two legs.

3. Dont get sucked into buying loadsa kit you dont need, i got sucked in big time!!!

4. Enjoy it

• Hi

I am sure you will enjoy competing as everyone is very friendly and helpful.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Hi learner,

once you tasted it, you'll stick with it like wine-gums on teeth[:D].

Firstly, you get discounts, but if you only enter one or two races, the profit isn't big enough to cover the costs ( especially when you do the 'cheaper' sprint races). But don't let me tell you what to do with that.

Other tips:-run after biking often, but at a fair speed. Otherwise you'll get used to running slow of the bike. Instead, start faster and slow down gradually.

-get enough training, but equally important enough rest/sleep!!!

-be consistent, better to tain three times a week for ever than 10 times a week for a month and give up.

-Read this forum(one of the best tips there is!!).

Be your best,

Benny
  • Learner, all very good advice and tips on training here, from everyone, so I'll just throw in my redundant tips and advice:

- Be realistic about your training times and do what you can, when you can, so that you get an enjoyable variety and you stick with it

- Be careful of over-training, especially as you feel you're making progress, perhaps accomplishing more than you thought you would and feeling on top of the world

- Remember to have a rest day every week, give yourself a complete day off from training and allow your body the crucial time to recover

- Give yourself an easy week once every four weeks, again, allowing your body time to rest, recover and adapt to the training you're doing

- In general, without knowing too much about your specific history, goals, etc, the advice would be for you to focus a little more time and effort on your weakest discipline; so, for example, you say you've done some marathons and some cycling, so you could probably afford to focus more on the swimming (but still do at least one session each of cycling and running each week to maintain a good base level of fitness there)

- Build up to your target distances in your training gradually, incrementally; for example, start swimming with a good focus on technique (from what you've been reading, or if you can, some coaching in a triathlon club) for a comfortable amount of time, whatever that is for you, maybe 20 minutes continuously or maybe doing 10 x 50m sets that focus on your technique; then, increase your training the following week by 10% and keep it up

- Keep increasing like that in small amounts each week and, probably without even noticing it, you will find yourself in a few months' time being able to cover distances that you never thought you would cover, but you will also have benefitted from regular practice, focussing on technique and being really comfortable at youre new distances

- When you get closer to your race time (say 8 weeks away for your first season), then start doing some more race-specific training (running or cycling hills if it's a hilly course) and preparing yourself mentally and physically for the race (learn as much as you can about the course by reading the information provided by the organisers and asking questions on this forum will help)

- Eat well, your food is your fuel and you want the best fuel for your activities, you already know what you need to cut down on (saturated fast and crap foods, maybe) and what you could eat more of (fruits and vegetables, maybe); don't skimp on your food, either, as you need enough energy to train and race (but, for example, a smoothie is probably a better snack than a Mars bar)

- Get enough sleep; sleep is an exremely important element of any training regime as it is when your body releases more growth hormones and is probably at its most effective in regenerating and rebuilding itself

- Get lots of water, just plain, simple water, not concentrated fruit juices, not coffee or tea, just plain water

That should keep you busy for a while...
  • learnerlearner Posts: 100
    Thanks to all so far, loads of useful bits there. Thanks for the reminder about overdoing it, memories of a torn calf come flooding back. I like the idea of concentrating on my weakest discipline which from the sounds of it is the same as most, the swim! Most events appear to be in open water, just a quick question, how different is that to a pool. Other than the odd day playing in the waves on a sunny beach, I've never tried swimming in the sea. (all a bit too cold and all that).

• its not so much the cold , as you are wearing a wet suit which warms you up a bit , its the fact that you are wearing a wet suit . it puts you in a better position and makes you a bit faster but it feels weird first time . also open water tends to have waves to some degree , more so in the sea obviously , so being able to breath to both sides is useful so you can breath away from incoming waves . open water races also tend to be mass start which can be unnerving if your in the middle of it , best to be near the back or to the side in your first few . just have fun with it .