Home Chat General Chat

Compression Clothing Really Works!!!!

Hello All!!

I did my first triathlon in 2.5 years yesterday and was very impressed with myself, until 30 minutes after the event when I started to feel everything tightening up.

Recognising the signs I threw on my tights and top (an brand called Skins) and did some stretching. While I was stretching I thought to myself that this is still going to hurt in the morning.

Low and behold I wake up this morning and feel like a million dollars. I can't believe how well it worked.

I think everyone should try them as the injuries they could prevent would keep us all going until we're grey and wrinkly.

Check them out!! www.skins.net

Comments

• tomroomtomroom Posts: 33
    Hi,

I just wanted to second that. I thought the "compression technology" thing was just a marketing stunt and it was all pyschological but it definitely isn't. I bought some Skins a while ago and think they are fantastic. If my legs are battered and I put them on in the evening I instantly notice a difference and I'm certain they help me get more out of tough sessions. Well worth the investment.

Tom

• [8D] totally agree... got a couple of pairs ok skins and they're great wearing either during training or post event..... no aches whatsoever..... blnkin brill bit of kit! [8|]
  • I bought some skins a couple of weeks ago from a guy called simon at a really helpful sports company. www.evolutionsports.co.uk Wasn't sure exactly what i was after but he explaned evertthing to me.
  • But aint it always the second day things seize up after extensive work outs.[:)]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    But which to choose, linebreak, skins, canterbury, 2XU, does anyone have any insights. The lady at team relays from linebreak said they were best because of the circular knit makes for a better, graduated compression..but he would wouldn't she..any thoughts opinions or evidence?
  • Hi boys and girls, i've got an under armour top that i wear to train in sometimes, the seams can rub abit but apert from that i'd give it ten outa ten.

• ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    I've used skins after long cycles, like all of the above, found them effective
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    These things are proven to work, when using the right sizes(which is really difficult, we're all different).

But you should wear them quite some extended time after training.

More info in an article in 220 two or three months ago, plus an evaluation of different brands(I think).
  • GGGG Posts: 82
    Hi everyone,

Good to hear all this talk about compression. In typical cheap skate form I thought id test the compression theory myself by applying tubey grip supports on my calfs after a hard run. Happily I can report the next day my legs feel fresh and ready for more.

Compression = good recovery!

• samanthasamantha Posts: 9
    HUM, im not sure about the SKINS thing. I bought the skins top and bottoms, when i went running the top kept running up and the bottoms kept sliding down. i spent the whole time running pulling up the bottoms and pulling down the top. i did have the correct size as i checked before i bought.

only being 5ft i bought size SMALL.

I also found that, if you stopped then the sweat on the SKINS made you cold almost immediately.

bar that I did feel i looked the part when i started he he

sam

• mike_trimike_tri Posts: 60
    has anyone had any problems with compression clothing??? apart from it being really hard to get off if you sweat during training, but then i suppose thats the whole point isn't it [8|]
  • pigletpiglet Posts: 86
    Noticed that a lot of you talk about the advantages of compression gear after training. What about during? I am looking at a pair of CWX running specific tights for medium distance (20-35km) mountain runs- the benefits hopefully to reduce muscle fatigue which can then lead to injury as you tire.

Any thoughts on this?
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Do it, piglet.

But its scientiffically proven that you need to wear the clothing for an extended period after the workout. Otherwise the positive effects are minimized.
  • pigletpiglet Posts: 86
    I can do that- stinky running gear for a few hours- no worries- my family LOVE me--not..........[;)]
  • TritimiumTritimium Posts: 2
    I bought some Skins tights and longsleeve tops, and found them to be really, really good, improving my performance and reducing recovery time. I usually run in them, and also wear them (a clean set!) until my next workout (I generally do two a day) if I've done a particularly intensive session, or weights.

I've got a question, though: now that it's becoming sunnier (or at least here in Birmingham at the time of writing!), are other people who may have been wearing compression tights for runs or cycles over the winter still be wearing them over the summer for their compression benefits? I have found that they are actually quite good at regulating temperature, so I'm not concerned about getting too hot - I'm more worried about the looks I might get if I go running in them in July! Not that I really care, to be honest (having got over my self-consciousness in lycra!). Just curious.
  • hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Nice tip GG thought Id try your theory and yep tubey grip does the job at a fraction of the cost [;)]
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I've been using Linebreak for a year and a half now post long runs. Their calf guards are excellent. I use the tights after a long run as well.

For the London marathon this year I tried Nike compression socks after having problems with my right calf for long period, and likewise found them excellent. However when I had to fold them over so they didn't go over my knees, I did find them a bit tight around the tops of my calves.

• Brind SurchBrind Surch Posts: 90
    i was looking on the skins website and noticed there are two types:

http://www.evolutionsports.co.uk/en/sport-skins/skins-travel-recovery-clothing/

or

http://www.evolutionsports.co.uk/en/sport-skins/mens-sport-skins-clothing/skins--mens-compression-leggings.php

what would be better for recovery and maybe soems short runs in the winter

Andy