Home Chat General Chat

first time tips

i've noticed that quite a few people here ask for tips and advice for the first triathlon they have entered,

i just thought it might be useful if we all chipped in our little gems, as a sort of quick reference forum,

i'm sure even the more seasoned competitors can pick up some useful hints,

here's a few to start,

-enjoy it, first one time doesn't matter.

-take the swim at an easy pace

-wetsuit, a bit of baby oil on your ankles and wrists, slips off easy

-talk in your bike shoes and trainers

-practice transitions

there's a few to get started

good luck everyone who is brave enough to do the first one, you'll be entering the second as soon as you have the energy to turn the p.c. on

fatmatt

Comments

• fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    obviously i meant talc, as in talcum powder, not talk in your bike shoes!!!
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    And when you say practice transitions, i would add practice putting your bike shoes on when youv'e just got out of the bath. Practice putting your running shoes on after youv'e completed a ling hard ride.

Cold fingers, cold toes, wet feet, heart rate around 160.

DAvid
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I have only done a few triathlons many years ago. But I got loads of tips from my training partner.

(1) One being that when coming of the bike, at least half a mile before the transition stage. Start to stretch legs, either by wheeling backwards, or taking foot of pedals for a few seconds. It may lose you seconds on the bike, however it will increase your time during transition and subsequent running

Thats it for now

• fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    thats a good one jason

also i usually tend to put my bike in a low gear and get the legs spinning quickly, this gets your legs used to moving quickly ready for the run

fatmatt
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Following first race on sunday I got cramp in my calves at start of run... The above advice will help on that but I also read (and then promptly forgot) that you should stand up and stretch hamstrings and calves on the bike.. depends on the route into T2 I suppose but might help...

Jazdog
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    My biggest first time tip to all would be don't worry about being nervous just before you start as almost everyone around you who is doing there first will be aswell, just ask them while your waiting to start there agreement will put you slightly at ease.