Home Chat General Chat

how can i improve my swim?

Hi

Im a junior (13 years old) and im taking up triathlons. Ive resently done a training day and found my swim really let me down. I've got a fairly good technique but my upper body strength/endurance is rubbish.Any tips/exercises would be greatly appreciated.

Krazycal[:D]

Comments

• jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi Krazycal,

welcome to the world of tri.... the thing with any sport is to build up strength gradually... with triathlon swimming technique is everything... keep building up the distance you swim every week... add roughly 10% to the distance each time... if you can get in three times a week that'll be good to. At least twice for any progress tho... within a month or two you'll notice a big difference in your strength..

good luck and most of all enjoy!!

Jazdog
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    HI Kal !!!! if you have good technique then the rest will follow - place great essence upon practice refining your technique every swim session. Your endurance & strength will come hand in hand with quality swimming. I on the other hand had / have good fitness & strength to weight ratio but was lascking in technique so had to learn & re-learn. My fitness has improved as a result benefitting not only m swimming but also my bike & run.

stick with it and you will acheive great things

madnurse (phil) [:D]
  • krazycalkrazycal Posts: 45
    Thanks Jazdog I have free weights up to 5kg and am probably going to get a chinning bar how can i use these well thanks

Thanks to madnurse aswell

• fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    krazy,

it's good to hear that you're keen at a young age, i'm sure you'll start getting some great results,

at 13 you've still got a lot of growing to do, that's in size and strength, it's important to not overdo the weight training, your muscles may be able to take the weight but you dont want to risk damaging joints. concentrate on technique and the strength will come, i'm quite a big strong lad but some of the girls in my swim club who are half my size can kick my arse!! they use technique instead of strength.

is it possible for you to maybe train with a tri club? there are soem great clubs with lots of junior members, i'm sure if you put your general area here, someone will know a local club.

good luck and just enjoy your training and racing

fatmatt
    Hi krazy,

Good advice from fatmatt.. I played rugby at your age and we stayed well away from weights... to be honest I don't do much weight training.. I prefer to get sport specific strength... (basically lots of swimming) - don't try and rush things...thats how you get injuries...

Tri or swim club would be a great idea if you've got one nearby!

Jazdog
  • TimoteiTimotei Posts: 50
    I came from a swimming background and have been swimming competitively since 9 years of age. just thought that i could give you some advice on swimming and training for endurance. your swimming technique and be aerodynamic are definitely what you need to focus on. also you probably want to do a lot of drills and start doing some enduarance swim set rather than trying to build swimming long distance. ie. catch-up swim, pyramid swim set.. then move on to learning to draft off other swimmers at your later stage. have your coach to give you more advice or to tape yourself and see where you can improve on would definitely help.
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    I'd definately go easy on the weights muscles will heal and get stronger overtime bones and joints aren't so forgiving.

• DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Hi Kal

To reiterate what has been said, don't spend time or efforts on weights sessions. Wait 'til your bones have grown fully.

Do use your body weight as this is self limiting. Pressups, chins, situps, squats, lunges. Maybe try and find a circuit training class; you use minimal weights but it really works your cardio system and builds speed, recovery and strength.

DAvid
    Thanks everyone however I've heard the names of the drills (catch up and pyramid) used before but don't no what they mean can someone please fill me in.
    catch up...

this is basically front crawl that involves holding something in you right hand out in from of you while your left arm completes a full stroke. When both arms are infront of you swap the object to your left had and complete a full stroke with your right hand ... and repeat...

Pyramid...

just like it somes complete sets of distance / speed / rest increase or decreasing one

so

4*50 with 30s rest between each

3*100 (30s)

2*150 (30s)

1 *200 (30s)

and back again

you could vary the speed (4*50 @ 1min / 50 the 3 * 50 at 55s / 50 and so on) or rest depending on what you wanted to achieve...

Cheers Im gonna go to the pool and do this (pyramid) right now.[:D][:)][;)]
    Thanks soooo much that was great in enjoyedf it and next time im gonna up the tempo. Thanks again

[:D]

loonytoon is absolutely right. and i agree with some people that it is not a good idea to start lifting tones at the gym. especially at your age. your first priority is to improve your swimming technique and start doing some endurance swim set (pyramid) and drills. (for pyramid: you can also do 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m, 500m and back down, 500m, 400m, 300m, 200m, 100m at 70% of race pace and do 4x 50m at 80% between each)

then move on to practicing swimming with your head up every 6-8 strokes as you will be doing that in any open water swim triathlon (you will realise that you need your back muscles a lot more by doing 'waterpolo' style swimming). you might also want to do a swim set with swim pedals and pullbouys as well. this will definitely improve your strength. hope this helps. happy training.
    most of all, don't forget, it's supposed to be fun, enjoy your training, do lots of different sports, train with your mates, and listen to your body, any little twinges and aches, don't ignore them.

good luck again

oh and if we are in the same race, don't embarrass me!!!

fatmatt
    I know I shouldn't be tlifting big wheights but what abought small wheights but with high reps.
    (I only have free weights up to 5kg and Im not allowed to use the machinery at my gym)

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Timotei wrote:

loonytoon is absolutely right. and i agree with some people that it is not a good idea to start lifting tones at the gym. especially at your age. your first priority is to improve your swimming technique and start doing some endurance swim set (pyramid) and drills. (for pyramid: you can also do 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m, 500m and back down, 500m, 400m, 300m, 200m, 100m at 70% of race pace and do 4x 50m at 80% between each)

then move on to practicing swimming with your head up every 6-8 strokes as you will be doing that in any open water swim triathlon (you will realise that you need your back muscles a lot more by doing 'waterpolo' style swimming). you might also want to do a swim set with swim pedals and pullbouys as well. this will definitely improve your strength. hope this helps. happy training.

Swim pedals? Would these be te same as fins or something I have yet to encounter?
    if they turn out to be finns I am gonna use "swim pedals" as their noun from now on

sounds way better..

• DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    If you get into a circuit training class you will probably find that doing 1 minute of bicep curls or tricep curls using only 2Kg will be plenty. likewise a lot of the other excercises like this. When you say high reps, in a gym the number of reps expected ranges from 3 to about 15, I would suggest that you should be doing more like 30 reps and then several sets of those. If you can't complete this then the weight is too big. The swimming technigue and drills will build your swim specific strength, something like a circuit or aerobics class will build your speed and stamina as well.

David
    swim padels maybe? the ones on your hands
    swim padels maybe? for your hands
    hi david what I ment was aroung 2 kg but quick and lots of them

krazycal[:D]

swim pedals are ones that you use to increase your arms strength.

http://www.trisports.com/strokhan2.html or

http://www.all3sports.com/product_info.php?pName=tyr-mentor-hand-paddle

they increase the resistence, hence, you will have to apply more power on each stroke. swimming pedals are a very useful tool to improve your strength in swimming. i use them in most of my swimming sessions.
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Ah, paddles! Swim pedals sound so much better though [8D]
    hey folks..

getting lots of good advice her krazy...

Paddles are helpful in building up strenght but you need to have a base level of strenght and swim stamina before you use them so you don't damage your shoulders...The extra pressure from using paddles puts a lot of stress on your shoulder joints and can be painful...

If you decide to use paddles (I would recommend not yet for all the reasons people had told you not to lift weights) then get small ones with lots of holes in them.. this'll reduce the amount of pressure but give you enough to build some strength... work on your base endurance and strength first tho... its the best way in the long term... and lets face it triathlon is for the long term...

jaz
    Hand Paddles are perfect for swimmers of all levels, from fitness swimmers to triathletes. They are designed to build strength without losing feel, and catches water quicker on the entry phase of the stroke than traditional paddles. They allow for maximum water feel and teaches you proper stoke techniques as well as specific strength development for all four competitive strokes. All while reducing shoulder stress.

Tested by World Champion swimmers, the Mentor is unanimously championed as a must for your training arsenal.

[*]Constructed of lightweight PVC foam for added flexion.

[*]Entry/exit holes designed to maximize water feel.

[*]"Alluvial Wing" design helps reduce shoulder stress.

[*]Convex palm dome fits natural swimming hand position.

[*]Wrist strap placement aids in proper stroke recovery.

[*]Multi-hole strap design for custom centering on hand.
    Thanks to eveyone im goining to try and follow through with it all my triathlon is not this Sunday but the next (Beicster) Wish me luck!

• Radiostar10Radiostar10 Posts: 15
    just thought I'd add this quick one , my swim was always my weakest dicipline. I went to see a swimming coach at my local baths after 2 sessions of stroke analysis and correction I feel alot more efficient in the water and my endurance is improving quicker !!

I dont know if I was lucky but it only cost me the fee to get in the baths !

Try your local authority

Radiostar10

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    HI Dave - i see you only down road in Northwich - you doing cheshire tri in a few weeks ?

phil (madnurse)