Home Chat General Chat

Which wheels should i buy???

After advice from all you experienced triathletes/cyclists

I want to make a significant upgrade and spend between £400- £600 on a strong, yet light set of wheels.

i am a 90 -95kg cyclist doing my first IM in Lanza and so want a lightweight set good for climbing.

Any ideas gratefully recieved

Comments

• Mavic Ksyrium Elite £350ish. Light as ones more then twice the price.

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    ROVAL FUSEE STAR WHEELS.Brilliant and aero
  • scott298scott298 Posts: 122
    have you got a power meter?

because with that price range you could get a power meter!

and I was told once that instead of getting aero wheels I would be better of getting a power meter, as they can give you a good indication of pace better than a Heart rate moniter can!

their is an article about it in one of the recent 220 mags!!

but aero wheels do look cool[;)]
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Contraversy coming right up ... buy the most expensive wheels you can afford - better wheels cost more, better wheels make you go faster. I recommend Corima aeros, excellent reputation, excellent lifespan and quite robust but are 900 quid. I advise you to sit tight and save up to get a really good set and avoid a mediocre set that are really designed to get sportive riders around a sportive course and not for triathletes or testers wanting to go flat out.

Plus when I'm having a rant I also advise triathletes to buy 2 bikes a winter training bike cost 500 quid plus and a tri specific bike or high end road bike costing 1000 quid plus. Its just I've had a weekend of work colleagues not wanting to spend 500 ona bike and expecting to get something decent for less than 500!

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    I was also pondering this decision. i read somewhere that aero wheels can save something like 10-15 minutes in an ironman distance race! seems worth the money to me!
  • Thanks for the advice guys. i ended up getting a good deal on some fulrum racing 3's. Very pleased with them and now got some spare money for a carbon seat post.