Home Chat General Chat

Tri Bike or Road Bike for beginner?

Firstly Hi to all, its my 1st post.

I picked up a copy of 220 magazine a couple of weeks ago, dont why, just did. anyway i've decided that im going to try triathlon, always thought i was fairly fit for an average guy, done weights in the gym on and off for last 10year or so and over the last year have been doing a lot of crossfit type excercises, i also go out on mountain bike riding the local trails in the lakes and in scotland.

Did my 1st 5k run last week - 21min 10 sec, absolutely knackered afterwards then did my 1st 10k in 43mins 10sec at weekend. my swimming is poor but i'll work on it took me 12mins to do 500m.

Anyway down to business, i have around £1500 to spend on a bike and i really like the look and style of the triathlon bikes but should i be buying a normal road bike and putting tri bars on? I'm not one to buy something cheap for now and upgrade later i'm more of a buy the best you can afford and make the most of it (no excuses that way).

I will start of with a sprint distance but knowing me i'll be wanting to do a half ironman by the end of the year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i have my eye on a couple of bikes and will probably buy something this weekend, currently like cannondale splice 105 and bianchi reparto corse chrono triathlon.

Thanks for reading

Ash

Comments

• Hi there,

If you like getting out on a bike anyway, my advice is buy the best you can afford - there is no better motivation than a nice new shiny bike! If you find that Tri isn't for you - you can always sell it! (mind you if you are like the rest of us loonies you'll no doubt love it). Check out Specialized too - they have some very tidy bikes on offer.

Have fun!

Oh, and how come all you newbies are always so damn fast on the run? My running is dreadful - old people walking to the local shop usually pass me by the end of an event!
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    If this is going to be your only bike I would go for a road bike and set it up for tri's, ie clip on tri bars. It gives you a lot more flexibility in your riding and as a newcomer to tri will give you all you need. If you get serious and want a tri specific bike in the future, you still have a good bike to train on. Don't forget to figure into your budget all the other kit too, like helmet, glasses, cycling shoes etc.

David.
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    ide second that.you dont wana tri/tt pacific bike just yet,they take a lot of getting use to paticualy when geting into the aero position.dont forget tri/tt bike are a different breed to your coventional road bike,there more stiffer,much high gearing and they go like a bat out of hell.
  • they go like a bat out of hell.

. . . that might have something to do with the 'engine' turning the pedals too [;)]

I was out at the weekend on my fixie. T'ain't nothin' special - a 20+ year old steel road frame that I converted over with a 42:15 drivetrain last year. The guy I was with, who's starting to become a reasonably fit cyclist commented that it was like trying to keep up with a Ferrari - only two speeds; 'Stop' and 'Go like the clappers'!
  • a4asha4ash Posts: 29
    Ok, thanks for your comments.

I guess what im trying to say is

a. i prefer the look of tt bikes

b. i dont want to buy a cheap road bike to make do

c. i will only use it for triathlons and triathlon training.

If i bought a tt bike anyway, can you still use it to train and comfortably do 50 - 60 miles on it or are they to uncomfortable for training on?

Thanks

PS would it be better to spend £1500 on a tt bike and £500 on a cheap smoker for training or is that just a waste?

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
  • a4asha4ash Posts: 29
    Thanks for all advice.

Have bought a Bianchi 928 carbon road bike and put some tri bars on it, went to local bike shop who got me set up with correct size etc, he also talked me out of a tt specific bike even though it was from his shop and alot more money. just need to get out on it now, collecting it on wed as it wouldnt fit in the car on sat.
  • GGGG Posts: 82
    Good stuff Ash,

Def made the right decision! Once your happy on the bike id look for tri club or cycle club to train with. Club runs are good fun for base miles and chain gang sessions are a good work out.

Happy cycling!

GG

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Admit to not reading most of this post and I admit to getting anoyed with cheapskates ... but buy Cycling Plus for a great test on bikes that are entry level