Home Chat General Chat

Putting two parts together for the first time:)

I have entered the Andover Triathlon as my first Triathlon and thought it would be easy. I am a strong swimmer, good cyclist and an OK runner.

BUT yesterday I tried to put two pieces together so I cycled 20 miles(fast) then got straight off and ran 5 miles. It was the hardest session ever. Every running step was like lifting lead weights on my shoes. I was running so slow i was also walking. I struggled all through the 5 miles. I cannot believe how hard it was to do the two together and I think I have allot of training ahead of me.

Is this the right way to train or should i been running one day, swimming the next and the cycling another.

Sam

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Hi,you are doing it correctly but would suggest that you reduce the length of the run in the brick session to about 15 mins at first, mixing slow running and strides to get the legs used to the different activities,and perhaps towards the end of the cycle you drop to a lower gear and increase the cadence as this will ease the transition from cycle to run .After a few session the time it takes to get into a normal running stride will reduce,best of luck.
  • toadtoad Posts: 104
    the first time I tried a bike then a run, it was the closest I ever came to giving up my dream of doing a triathlon. Stick with it and it will become easier. I think it is really training your state of mind, personally when I get off the bike now and start a run my legs still feel really heavy, however I know within about 5 minutes the sensation will ease and my stride will become easier. Changing down a few gears is good advice, also standing up on your pedals occassionally helps. You really begin to respect triathletes once you start bike run interval training

• samanthasamantha Posts: 9
    thanks for the advice

i was going to try swimming next then getting on the bike immediately after and seeing how that fits together.

wish me luck

sam

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Good luck,but you might get a slight light headed feeling when you stand up and transition from horizontal to vertical,it is one of disciplines that I do not feel the need to practice as most of the propulsion in swimming comes from the upper body whereas in cycling and running it is the lower so a brick session of cycling to running would be more beneficial.If your pool is ameanable and quiet they might let you put a turbo trainer next to the pool with your bike so you can practice doing the transition a number of times in a pool session.Ignore the strange looks from other pool swimmers,also if you go into open water swimming again practice using your wetsuit in the pool as safe open water practice is hard to find.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Yes you are doing it right. The 'jelly' legs come along for free[:D].

As Jon.e suggested, reduce the distances either of the running or the biking part. Definetely if you're training for sprint or oly's, these mileages are too big.Stick with it ,it will get easier (although you will always get that wobbly burning feeling[:@]).

As for swim-bike bricks; it helps to get your leg kick cadence up in the last 100 metres(in relation to blood flow, dizzyness,...).
  • a4asha4ash Posts: 29
    i just did my first bike/run brick today too, 20k bike 5k run, my legs felt the weirdest ever for about 5 mins then my heart and lungs kicked in like usual and i forgot about the legs,
  • pigletpiglet Posts: 86
    I found the swim to bike transition Ok as by the time I have exited the water, run up the beach (or around the pool) then got out of the water and into cycling gear- my body has adjusted to being upright again and legs have been working a bit. I do increase leg kick for last 50m or so before exiting.

With bike to run I also found the legs feel heavy and like dragging lumps of lead about. On my last Tri (sprint) I spun at high cadence 110rpm for about 2km before the end then at about 750m to go changed to high gear and stood up on pedals all the way into T2. I found this reduced the lead feeling incredibly. But I need to do more bricks that's for sure to get legs used to it.

Good to hear from the other guys that doing the bricks in training improves it for the race.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    I must be one of the lucky ones, i dont get the wobbly, sore legs. i struggle to get my back straight after bein hunched over on the bike so i get lower back pain!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Great answers & goes to show how much it is different strokes (groan) for different folks.

On bike to run, I read a theory that as cycling is a supported (seated) activity the stabilising muscles of the inner & outer thigh (ab & ad ductors) get little work to do & 'switch off,' so in the last few km before transition, I squeeze by top tube with my knees a few times & move my knees laterally to 'wake them up'..looks weird, but then I am cycling around the countryside in my underwear..& works for me.
  • SuperCazSuperCaz Posts: 54
    I'm a beginner too, and so far I have only done brick sessions in the gym, because my first tri (this weekend) is a gym based taster session. I didn't find the transition from the bike to the treadmill a problem at all. In fact, I did my fastest run ever!

But I am expecting bigger problems when I start doing brick sessions outside in training for my first real tri. So far I have only done individual disiplines outside.
  • bricks are great ,i find if i peddle backwards for a bit and increase cadence it helps with the heavy legs
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Do your brick sessions. Never EVER go for a bike ride without at least running until you get leg control back afterwards. That way you'll get used to it. Also, if you've done even a bit of running in the past you need to get used to the idea of going for a run when you are already tired. How often do runners do that? Of course it is going to feel odd, but if you go into a race and compete at race pace having not done your brick sessions you are asking for injury. Enjoy the pain in training, not the race.

There's a bit of a debate on the small gear + spin fast or big gear and stand up decision for getting rid of jelly legs. I think we talked about this on a thread a while ago.

I'm with the piglet on this one: I do both... although I do it the other way round: I go for a really big gear, stand up, push my hips fowards as much as I can and try to straighten my back. Then I drop lots of cogs and sit down, spinning at about 110 - not so fast that I'm out of control. Also, I'm aware of the fact that I'm racing, not having a warm down.

The next bit will sound odd, I expect: In this spinning phase I sit with my back straight, shoulders square (not very aero) and I think about whizzing through T2 and feeling light on the run. I put a huge smile on my face, and enjoy the feeling of racing with other athletes around me. I make a few comments to people I pass, or to those who pass me.. "Nice ride", "Well done", "Just the run, now" etc.

The right mental attitude helps me do the last transition and finish the race.

Anyone else identify with this? <tumbleweed>