Home Chat General Chat

Where do you swim at?

A lot of 24 Hour Fitness gyms have swimming pools/whirl pools available to members to use which is a great. Where do you swim?

Comments

• FreeNFitFreeNFit Posts: 9
    Does anyone actually have to pay extra costs to swim at a center?
  • learnerlearner Posts: 100
    spooky, just joined a health and raquets club in plymouth, the swimming pools, 25m indoor or 20m outdoor are open from 0700 in the morning 'til 2200 weekdays and 2000 weekends. No extra cost to membership. (walter the softy bit now) been every day for the last week and my skin is getting really dry and red on my cheeks (face before you ask) so having to moisturise. between that and the smooth legs mrs s is getting a bit worried.

swim times are coming along nicely though, so not all bad.

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    I swim in the council pool near my house. costs £3.30 a time. which is actually more expensive than if i joined the gym they have! the membership includes free use of the pool. I'll be signing up shortly....
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    I also use the local council 'baths' - costs me £2.70 a pop but £2.25 if I buy a multi-use card thing.

Decent enough 25m pool in Inverurie but there are very few lane sessions at reasonable times in any of the pools nearby. On a wednesday, for example, I have to drive for nearly an hour to the only pool in the vicinity which offers lanes.

moan, moan, moan !!!

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Well samutri, that really sucks. Think of all thetime you spend driving, but in which you actually could...

oops,[>:] sorry [&o]. No, really, thats not very handy for you. Maybe there is a open water place nearby. Here in Belgium there are some places( for free), you just need to know where they are.

I go open water swimming a lot, but in winter time I use the pool that is only 4k from my house.

For the early(6am) morning swims I use the pool from the triathlon club which is 20 minutes drive(but free entrance if you're a club member). For the evening sessions we can use the outside 50m pool.

So I guess I'm pretty lucky on the aspect of swimming opportunities[8D].
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Hey Benny, good to hear from you again!!

I do have the North Sea very near me! Tried swimming in it last year in prep for the UK70.3 but didn't spend long in it. Even with my wetsuit on I started hyperventilating. Decided it was safer to stick to the pool!

I believe there is a place where you can do some openwater swimming but its another long drive!

Yep - have often thought about the cycling and running I could be doing instead of driving - grrrr!

Luckily, the local councils have decided to close or reduce the opening times of many of the local pools. Bless them and their wisdom!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Hey samu,

keep it up man. Maybe the hypervent will go away after a few times practice.

Endless pools is a great solution (if you can/want to afford it [:@]) for those darn never open pools.

I suppose the people in those local councils think the swimming pool is just a large bath tub, and they dont have any interest in swimming or tri's[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m7.gif[/image][:'(].

Keep on training,

Benny
  • FreeNFitFreeNFit Posts: 9
    I love that the pools are available at no extra cost. Plus, I get to use all the other features at the clubs. They have all sorts of machines/weights and free group classes too. The membership doesn't cut a big whole in my pocket either. Works with my budget.[:)]

I'm in the US, so I'm not sure how $29 USD converts.