Home Chat General Chat

good triathlon books

relavity new to this triathlon business and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good books for training tips/advice. i am entered into blenheim (sprint) & london (olympic) and have been following my own training routine since xmas but feel like some quality advice from experts would be very useful. all comments welcome. thanks.

Comments

• BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    Mattyc,

I have to say I don't read alot of tri books, but of what I have read I would reccommend "The Triathletes Training Bible" by Joe Friel; for a non tri specific but excellent book on training and conditioning "SERIOUS Training for Endurance Athletes" by Rob Sleamaker and Ray Browning.

David.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    'My first triathlon' by Joe Friel if you're a first timer[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m8.gif[/image]
  • thanks for the responses. i'll give them both a go.
  • KarlOnSeaKarlOnSea Posts: 28
    I'd also recommend Not Normal Behaviour by Stuart Staples - not as a training book, but as great inspiration in a lightweight wrapper.
  • lowther76lowther76 Posts: 74
    I would also suggest Triathlon 101 by john mora - simple and doesnt get too bogged down in tech stuff.
  • turbotimturbotim Posts: 7
    Can absolutely recommend "Total Immersion" Terry Laughlin. For less than a tenner it will change forever the way that you swim. Google it first to see what others think but in my opinion this series of drills will help tremendously in the water.

Nb: A swimming buddy may help to make sure that you are "assuming the position."
  • turbotimturbotim Posts: 7
    just found this link

http://sweat365.com/library/articles/sports-specific/triathlon/total-immersion-1/

total immersion. what do you think?
    or run a search on this forum on total immersion; lots of info on here already, numerous threads about it[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m1.gif[/image].
  • KarlOnSeaKarlOnSea Posts: 28
    Total Immersion is great . . . but you've got to supplement it with real coaching - whether that's one of their excellent courses (never done one m'self, but the review from friends are very, very favourable), individual 1:1 sessions with a good teacher, or doing your time in the 'learners lane; at your local swim / tri club.

Basically I spent the thick end of a year with the TI book, and felt I was going nowhere. I could swim front crawl, but only for about 100m before I turned blue and sank![:-]

After only 45 minutes with an instructor, the bigger flaws with my stroke had been corrected (and I could swim until I got bored), and unless someone had pointed these out to me, they'd have never been fixed. So TI BOOK = great for teaching some of the kinesthetics; real life, hands-on experience & coaching = great for correcting errors & getting a swim stroke that works.
    KarlOnSea wrote:

Total Immersion is great . . . but you've got to supplement it with real coaching - whether that's one of their excellent courses (never done one m'self, but the review from friends are very, very favourable), individual 1:1 sessions with a good teacher, or doing your time in the 'learners lane; at your local swim / tri club.

I read the book and find myself swimming more efficiently. Had some great help through the site though, where you can see the drills on video. More drawings should be added in the TI book. Although I'm a lot better (not great, but better[&:]), just by reading the book and trying to put some time in the pool.

Nevertheless I agree with the coaching issue, never hurts to let someone look from the pool side whoknows his stuff.