Home Chat General Chat

Finding the time

Training for my first season in triathlon and at present have only entered into pool based sprint events. However, stuggling with time management !!

Have a busy job (accountant) working long hours and at times working away from home. Add to this the fact I have 2 children (under 3yrs) and studying for exams.

I'm not that good in mornings and prefer to train in the evenings and at weekends (when i can !!).

Come from a running background so have only had to train for the one discipline but to be honest the multi events is not the issue but just finding time to train.

Therefore, my question is how do people fit training around life commitments ?

Leaving the other half & kids and getting a less stressful job is unfortunately not an option !!!

Cheers

Comments

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    I know it sounds unthinkable now, but train first thing in the morning. i used to hate getting up early,but after doing it for 2 weeks all is ok. it means my training always gets done and nothing crops up during the day to prevent me from training. Also, training during lunch helps me keep the running mileage up[:)]
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    Mangel,

jon_g is right, you will have to get your training in whenever you can even if it's early morning. Once you get used to it you'll find it's the nicest time to train.

I would add that you need to keep your goals realistic to the amount of time you have to train. A few years ago I started training for the Ballbuster Duathlon, which needs some serious training. At the same time I had just started university and was running my own business. In the end it was too much and I pulled out the race. I'm not advising you start pulling out of races but don't put too much pressure on yourself so that training becomes a chore.

Maybe look at your week ahead at the weekend and work out what you can realistically acheive over that week and try to meet those targets.

David.
  • Have to agree with the first comment, I used to be the most un-morning person you could ever imagine. Then decided to take up rowing!

Four years on and suddently 7:30 feels like a lie in.

Its all about just getting into the routine and also not giving yourself the option. The beauty of rowing is that your letting people down if you don't turn up, so you have no choice. Try and find someone else that likes to train in the morning (or wants to learn!) and arrange to meet up with them. Specially now that the mornings are getting lighter training is actually really quite pleasurable.

Other than that I would just recommend training intensively when you do the opportunity. I'm not very experience in Triathlons, having only done a few, but in Rowing if you have the luxury of training 15 times a week then you can do lots of low intensity endurance sessions.

If you can only do say 5 sessions then just blast them. Not sure how technically correct this and it certainly wont help you prepare for an Ironman, but I know for a fact that it helped Oxford Brookes win Henely for 3 years in a row!

The only other option is to integrate the family into workouts. I have seen (and been overtaken) by people racing with push buggies in 10k races. I have also seen a very run procession of a dog, followed by a guy running with the leash, with a rope around his waste to his young kid on a bike behind. Whatever works for you!

Good luck.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    A few comments : Firstly high achievers do this sort of thing ie packas much into life as possible and they usually succeed at all, it enriches your life so take something from that! I also work demanding hours 7.30 -6.00 and 8.00 -2.00 Saturdays but manage to get it all in. A few simple strategies

1. Log onto the what training thread... on this site; it inspires and it makes you feel that you must contribute

2. Keep a training diary logging times HR's distances, speeds etc this allows you to see your progress and it motivates you

3. Have 3-4 key sessions a week that have priority and everything else is worked around them on that day. These sessions should have a definite time nad goal and once I get them in and recorded I know that I'm moving forward. I have a swim - (1 hr) ;count lengths, turbo session (1hr.30) - 60km; record ave speed, long run 20km (1hr 45); record time & long cycle (3-4 hr) record distance.

when you look at it objectively you see that by making a few sacrifices and by avoiding mucking aboutyou should be able to spare 60-100 mins 3 times per week, the 3hr+ cycle is your luxury

Jon g is right if the sacrifice means getting up an hour earlier in oder to do a session or to do something that will enable you to get a session in then do it. Otherwise you have to realise that you don't REALLY want to succedd at the sport. All the cliches no pain no gain etc ps check out quotation in Going Long about learning to play the saxophone.

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Well, armstrong_jack, 7.30 actually IS a lie in[>:].

I can't remember the day I slept later then 7.30. It's a habit that you learn easy, training in the morning. Especially if you're hooked on triathlon, it's a breeze getting up early.

Another possibility: work commute. Depending of distance, you could either run or bike the trip.

Gets you some extra training without losing the commute time[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Sorry, but mainly you need to learn to get out of bed.

I'm in the pool or gym at 06:30.

Lunchtimes are for running, and I cycle home from work a few times per week (40 miles) when the evenings are lighter.

Long run on Saturdays with the kids tagging along on their bikes.

Then there's the 06:30 Sunday morning bike ride... beautiful. [:D]

Somehow it all balances out.

Just a few suggestions.
  • mangelmangel Posts: 20
    thanks for the suggestions guys.

putting it simply, i need to get my butt out of bed and enbrace the early morning work out !!

more seriously though i think i need to give my training a higher priority and not just fit it in when i have time.

will draw up a new training schedule this weekend for those early mornings.
    thats the spirit mangel.

On the other hand (and I know this can be confusing now[8D]), don't neglect your rest/recovery.

Just to make things even more difficult[:)].
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Alternatively you could work in the fitness industry (why industry? Its not like we make anything.) anyhow..7am opening...nowt else to do but those all important resistance/core/flexibilty workouts, then eat, boss turns up at 9 ish..hard at work I am, home by 3 swim for free at the pool belonging to the same organisation about 2km away from home..which is a 5k straight line or a long as I want cycle from work. Oh & teach some spinning classes during the week so getting paid to get /remain bike fit.

Its a hard life eh?.....but the money sucks.
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    commute to work is a good way of getting bike miles in. As for swimming and running i am still trying to work that one out.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I do quite often commute by run, especially to classes..only 5k straightline.
    Yes Mangel you're quite right but don't beat yourself up about it! We all hate early morning sessions (well the first 2minutes). Sit down work out a REALISTIC programme let your family know and stick to it, we all get into jumble with the work training life balance and we all come out of the jumble
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Hi Mangel

I just looked at the comments on this thread and, like you I find it hard to get the hours in. The thing that helped me most was a written training plan. It sits there in the desk and on the fridge and I cross off the sessions I've done - there's no playing catch up either so if I miss one thats it - it doesn't get crossed off. It sounds really daft but it really focuses your mind. The other thing it does for me it helps me see what I've really achieved, rather than what I think i've achieved. So I know when I need a kick up the .... and I also know when not to beat myself up too much!

Good luck with it all!
  • SuperCazSuperCaz Posts: 54
    Any chance of getting a session in during your lunch break? Even if you only go for a 15 min to 30 min run, it's better than nothing.
    commuting to work via pedal power is an option but not always in the office due to nature of job.

the early morning run/bike is the way forward before going to work. researched pool times at local pool and it would appear that i can get a swim booked in before work as well.

now to the hard part, actually getting out of bed. must admit its got to be easier this time of year rather than the months in the depth of winter.

cheers.
  • FreeNFitFreeNFit Posts: 9
    I mostly train at nights...but can train in the morning too. The gym is open great hours (24 hours a day) so I decide when the besttime is. :)
    As a shoot from the hip to Supercz I would say of course your 15 minutes of lunchtime training will be worthwhile - the question you need to ask yourself is .... how hard should it be; 15 mins of " hey everyone I've just done 15 mins on the tredmill/ pool/turbo/ ergo or 15mins of FLAT OUT MAXIMUM on the instrument of your choice!
    On the subject of trying to use all available time: I sometimes take along my bike and stuff along when we go some place with the wife andkids. When they drive home I ride back by bike, or hop out of the car some distance before we arrive at home. When she's driving lets say 40 minutes, I'll be home half an hour after them. But I'll had a 1.15hr training.

Or the other way round. I sometimes arrive at family's home'sfor dinner or so in running or cycling gear. I'd start a half hour or so before my wife and have some good training on the way. She takes along fresh clothes in the car.

If you sort these things out they really work great. The people around you will get used to this way very fast. Communication (with the other half) and planning is very important for time management.

Hope this helps,

Keep training!!!
    so many ideas to squeeze in those extra minutes/hours training !

as previously promised I drew up new training schedule at weekend and started with a cycle and run on sunday morning at 6.30am !!!!!!!!!!!!

bit of a shock to the system but the empty roads were great, no stopping for traffic lights and no drivers giving me less than 2 inches between myself and their car (sound familiar ?) !!!

progress has been made.

• FreeNFitFreeNFit Posts: 9
    benny wrote:

On the subject of trying to use all available time: I sometimes take along my bike and stuff along when we go some place with the wife andkids. When they drive home I ride back by bike, or hop out of the car some distance before we arrive at home. When she's driving lets say 40 minutes, I'll be home half an hour after them. But I'll had a 1.15hr training.

Or the other way round. I sometimes arrive at family's home'sfor dinner or so in running or cycling gear. I'd start a half hour or so before my wife and have some good training on the way. She takes along fresh clothes in the car.

If you sort these things out they really work great. The people around you will get used to this way very fast. Communication (with the other half) and planning is very important for time management.

Hope this helps,

Keep training!!!

I imagine the kids look at you with puppy dog eyes like you are discluding them from having so much fun, right? [:'(]

Not really FreeNfit,

they have lots of fun when they pas me by,waving and shouting at me. Letting the oldest one (4 years) join me with his little bike for half a mile when I start a bike ride also helps. When swimming, they can come along some times toplay in tke little shallow pool.

So they actually share in the fun.
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Felt I had to add my experience to the thread!

I was struggling to balance all the aspects of my life a few years back - I was looking after my three kids, studying for an MBA, working full time and training for Tri. The only way to make the Tri work was to get up at 5am and to hammer it hard for 90minutes before getting the girls ready for school.

For 2 weeks, it was utter torture... until the nutrition got sorted out. I started eating something light just before I went to bed then adding lots of seeds to my breakfast (pumpkin and sunflower) this resulted in an almost instant change.

Now a 5am start is perfectly normal!

Strangely, the now ex-mrs samutri did a runner with an older, fatter and less gorgoeous bloke. Oh well - more training time for me!!

By the way - have to agree with Benny - 0730?? thats almost lunchtime! [;)]