Home Chat General Chat

carbon fibre frame

Im just wonderin if carbon fibre is really the best material used for bike frames, and how much better is it when compared to other metals used, such as aluminium, or titanium etc. How scientifically supported is carbon fibre??

Comments

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    Carbon fibre is a funny material,there are many types of carbon each having different quilitys,There is the T-700 wich is most common,this is for durability,lightwieght and comfort and is one of the most resistant types of carbon fibre.Then you have others as well,it can get a bit confusing when each manufacturer has a different name for something that is the same.T 60 is used for strenth and rigidity.The more of this type of carbon in the frame the more stiffer its likely to be thus enabling exelant and swiffter acceleration.The you have M 30 and M 40 wich are high modulus.With this it makes the frame combine the comfort and stiffness.These are all combined in different percentages to give the frame specific charecteristics.Also when looking for carbon frame always make sure that it has been constructed using monocoque technology as this will ensure high quility(most carbon frames are made using this method).This is the braekdown of carbon-fibre.Alloy frame are good if you want durabilty and stiffness.There are many grades of alloy.each one is used for different quilitys.Theres 6065,7000,7020 and the most common is 7075 wich is used in many of the cheaper alloy frames.if you want lightwieght alloy frame make sure that it is triple butted as alloy frames that use this technology will more than likey to be lighty than say a double butted frame.Personaly i wouldn't go for anything cheap when it comes to carbon,in my book alloy can just be as good as carbon but without the lovely carbon effect.
  • ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    What about the planet X bikes are they good? or just cheap?
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    There about average im sorry to say.They do some ok stuff but i wouldn't have one personaly.Mainly becouse they brought/borrow some design rights off of other manufacturers.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/tt/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=215&MMN_position=419:419

http://www.element6bikes.com/images/triframe-red.jpg

http://www.bikes-dolan.uk.com/en-us/dept_15.html

all are incredibly simular in design with some adaptions.Out of these all are probably prety mech the same in cost but the element six is better and more tt specific than the stealth.suprising
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Looks like all these guys go to the same factory for their frames and forks.

There was a photo set on the P-X web-site showing them visiting the factory, in Korea, but I can't find it now. I can't imagine that they have an exclusive deal, so it makes sense that other suppliers and builders are selling them too.

All being equal, it would then come down to what components are bolted on at the price you are prepared to pay.

Incidentally, I have just fitted a pair of P-X carbon forks to my bike, to replace some VERY heavy steel ones. It is my first experience with carbon, and I must say that I am impressed. Very light, very comfortable (which was the main reason I got them), and look to be very good quality. Also quick delivery and good after sales.

P-X have had some great reviews in the cycling press. Again, assuming that they all buy from the same factory I guess that would apply to the other bikes you mention, too.