Home Chat General Chat

What Eating have you done today?.....

With all of us being super healthy athletes, treating our bodys as temples and all that I thought it would be interesting to find out how healthy you all really are…

Yesterday I ate and did:

2 slices of Soreen malted fruit loaf + fresh filter coffee black with sugar + 1 pint of squash

50 mins aerobic cycling + 500mm of squash

300mm of squash + 1 hot cross bun + 1 slice of Soreen malted fruit loaf

Cup of tea with 1 sugar & milk + 1 Pear + handful of almonds

Cup of instant coffee with 1 sugar and milk

1 Apple

6 prunes

Salad = lettuce, celery, baby plum tomatoes, spring onion, 1 smoked black peppercorn Mackerel fillet, a very big handful of mixed beans (kidney, butter, halibut, black eye), 1 teaspoon of grainy mustard and loads of black pepper.

1 bag of original Hula hoops.

Cup of tea with 1 sugar and milk

1 Clementine

1 hot cross bun + pint of squash

1:40hr of running

Half a roasted Poisson, 1 roast sweet potato, roasted vegetable 1/3 of a plate – (carrots, courgette, celery, red onion and butternut squash) + pint of squash.

Any nutritionists out there want to give an opinion please? Suppose it’s relevant that I’m training for an Ironman…

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The best part of training..the eating.

I am by no means a nutritionist, but on a quick perusal of your daily intake, if it is typical, the elements are there, but two words scream out at me..refined sugar..all that squash, sugar in tea & coffee, malt loaf, hot cross buns.

If you substituted some of that with fruit, then you get the sugar in an unrefined way & with extra vitamins & minerals, drink water instead of squash for hydration & lose more refined sugars, the squash may be more relevant come your event, but you may want to experiment with sports drinks for that.

I am not an Ironman either, but my typical days eating is.

Fruit juice & banana.

Swim/run workout.

Large 500g bowl of porridge with raisins.

Large cup of black coffee.

5k bike to work.

Fruit salad (apple, pear, kiwi, mango, grapes, cherries, melon, pineapple, plum)

45 min studio cycle class.

Protein (cheese/meat/fish) & salad (tomatoes, chinese leaf, carrot, beetroot, radishes, peppers, bean sprouts etc).

5k bike home.

Large cup of tea & a snack..home made flapjacks maybe.

Throughout the day I drink water, & maybe 1 more cup of tea & coffee, & snack on nuts & raisins.

Then my next most favourite training element..sleep.
  • jayjayjayjay Posts: 10
    Im not a nutritionalist, but im studying a bachelor of health science in nutrition and dietetics- in Australia. I would be happy to apply my limited third year knowledge to your diet as a practice (in about a month i have a semester three week break). Although there are some foods in that list that i have never heard of.
  • Eating is something i dont stick to.

three biscuits,

two shredded wheat,

3 chicken rolls,

banana,

muller rice,

fish and chips,

toffee cheesecake,

healthy portion of indegestion later no doubt,

I really must look into not eating so much crap, was my comfort blanket when i gave up smoking over a year ago, good job i cycle as i think i be the size of a house.
  • a4asha4ash Posts: 29
    my normal week day eating as follows

8am porridge with honey, blueberries, banana and 3 seed mix

10.30am protein bar and low fat yoghurt

1pm jacket potatoe, chilli and veg

3.30pm protein shake and 2 tangerines

5.30pm protein shake

6pm - 7.30pm training

7.30pm protein shake

9pm chicken breast, new potatoes and veg

drinks= 2-3 litres water, 1 glass fresh orange, 3 cups of herbal tea

weekends i drink coffee and eat pretty much anything i want avoiding processed food though
  • rj1265rj1265 Posts: 70
    This is fun [:D]

Weekdays

05:30 - 1 small probiotic yoghut 0.1% fat

(Drive 80 miles to work)

07:30 - 1 Protein Shake

11:00 - 1 tin tuna (or 150g cold meat)

13:30 - 200g cold meat or fish + Salad (lettuce / tomato)

15:00 (Drive home)

16:30 - Small slice homemade flapjack / Protein Shake / Protein Bar

1:30 / 2 hrs Exercise (Bike / Gym / Swim / Run ) - Delete as required

20:00 Smallish Dinner jacket potato + chicken etc

Drinkwise 3 litres of water, 2 coffees, 1 glass of Tomato juice

Weekends - Try to stick to the small meals but usually fail [:@] + 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks

Am I obsessed ? --- The good Mrs says YES

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    There seems to be a fair reliance on cereal bars & protein shakes going on here..surely the ultimate in 'processed foods'...do you know how whey based protein powders are made? Not nice & involves a lot of heat, thus denuding the protein content, cereal bars did not exist in any quantity 10 or so years ago now it is a multi million pound business. Call me old fashioned but I like real food, stuff I bought & made..no one makes a flapjack to rival Lady Britspins..all natural & organic too.

Generally protein needs are over estimated & a small but regular intake is best throughout the day.
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Hey you guys - thought I would chuck in my tuppence worth:

Porridge with honey for brekkie, with OJ, water and toast

bananas, dates and nuts through the day

2 ham and salad sandwiches at lunchtime (on granary bread)

More fruit in afternoon

Dinner is something like couscous, stirfry veg and prawns

2 coffees and 3 litres of water.

No real worries although I may be a bit light on veggies!
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Interesting,, seems everyone really thinks about what they eat. I wonder if its the volume of trianing or the engulfing nature of tri that pushes everyone to think more about what they eat.

For me I just find that anything but pretty decnt food just doesnt satisfy.

I was surprissed to see a couple of you taking prtien shakes as a daily thing (perhaps almost as an alternative to carbs it seems?!!) I personally only use a pretien shake after a really hard effort to try to reduce aches the next day.

I get my close by work mates going on a me for eating 'girly' food .. fruit, nuts, salads etc. etc. Got thinking about all I was eating in a day - s##t loads.... I do more excersie in a week than they do in 3 months so I think my masculinity is safe... even in the lycra, which they have to look forward to once the nicer weather comes and the bike goes to work!!! O the joys of being a tri freak

• heres mine

4:50am porrige with honey,mixed berries ,nuts and seeds 500ml water cup of herbal tea

off to work

8:00am peanut butter ,cucumber and grated carrot sandwich on wholemeal bread

10:00am trek mixed berry wholefood energy bar

12:30 ish veg soup or beans or mushroom on toast cup of herbal tea 500 ml water

after training energy bar and 2 litres of water

5:00ish evening meal usually tofu, lentils or beans with salad or baked/stirfried veg and rice , baked spud or rice noodles or veg chilli/curry with rice etc cup of herbal tea 1 litre water

before bed 2 glasses of water
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    a4ash wrote:

my normal week day eating as follows

8am porridge with honey, blueberries, banana and 3 seed mix

10.30am protein bar and low fat yoghurt

1pm jacket potatoe, chilli and veg

3.30pm protein shake and 2 tangerines

5.30pm protein shake

6pm - 7.30pm training

7.30pm protein shake

9pm chicken breast, new potatoes and veg

drinks= 2-3 litres water, 1 glass fresh orange, 3 cups of herbal tea

weekends i drink coffee and eat pretty much anything i want avoiding processed food though

way too many protein shakes! alot of cals in a shake too....
  • ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    Protein shakes are rubbish, if you want protein, go for real food, eggs, meat fish. Otherwise you are just eating processed protein which as already mentioned is probably worthless anyway as it is denatured.