Home Chat General Chat

Aerobars

I am currently training for a few sprint tris having just taken up the sport. I bought a package of equipment including a bike and some aerobars (which I fitted immediately as I am a bit of a gadget geek) So far I haven't used the bars very much at all as the bike feels quite hard to control with them and was wondering how much difference they actually make on such a short distance or are they just extra weight to lug around.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Hi Nigel!

Welcome to the sport!

Aerobars make a difference. As with most things, you must spend the time getting used to them and becoming disciplined in keeping down on them. The control comes with practice. I'm assuming they are the bolt on types without brake or gear levers? It can be a bit hairy at first trying to speed round a corner while being down on the bars but it will come!

A mate once described them as being like an extra gear because of the benefit gained - I would agree!

Good luck and have fun!

Richard
  • mangelmangel Posts: 20
    just purchased some aerobars myself and the first few outings were a bit scary !!! however, now that i'm a bit more used to them find the riding position a lot more comfortable and more beneficial.

i guess you just need to persevere.

good luck
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Stick to it.Once you get used to them, they'll pay you back with minutes[8D]!
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    some bontrager xxx lite aero bars offer incredible value and combine them with the brake levers youve got yourself a good set.The only over one i would recomend is the oval a900 or how about the amazing oval a921 jestream unfortunently it come with a hefty price tag
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Yes to what everybody else said.... it does take time learning how to steer with your elbows, and of course steering from near to the middle of the handlebars isn't ideal in leverage terms and can make for a few wobbles...

I'm guessing from what you've said that the 'aerobars' in question are 'clip-ons' i.e. you've bolted them on top of the standard drops. That's cool, but to really get the benefit you'll find that you can start to drop the handlebars lower (removing spacers, if you have any) as you get used to it. You may also find spacer blocks included in the design of your aerobars, so you can take those out too when you get the hang of it. Remember, your aeros are on top of your road bars, so as you get to the ideal aero position you may start to lose the use of your drops.

Get into the habit of making sure the road is at least a little bit clear behind you when you go from hoods to aeros, just in case you have a 'moment'. Practice transitioning from aeros to hoods as often as you can. You'll get used to it.

With clip-ons you don't have the luxury of having your gear change at your finger-tips when on the aeros, but you DO have the luxury of having your shifters available when you are on the hoods, which you will probably be when going up a hill, especially as a beginner.

I'd suggest using your aerobars when you get more than about 100m of relatively level road in front of you. Pick your gear, drop down and go. You'll discover pretty quickly that before you go onto the aerobars you need to go up one gear, to account for the increase in speed as you get aero. That's a pretty convincing display of how useful aerobars are.

Do they make a difference on shorter events... well, in percentage terms about the same. As you get quicker they make more of a difference, since air resistance goes up in relation to the square of your speed (or is it a cube?). In theory, in a sprint event you are hammering it, so yes: big difference.
  • lowther76lowther76 Posts: 74
    alright all,

interesting stuff. i am just thinking about getting some aero bars. Anyone got any good recommendations please for the bolt on variety that wont leave me eating dust for the next 6 months?! Thanks... Chris
  • a4asha4ash Posts: 29
    just bought some profile design carbon strike official ironman bars for my bike, went out with my mate who is an experienced cyclist, it was my first time on a road bike (although i mountain bike regular) and when i was in aero position he had trouble keeping up. i guess that means they must be good?? they retail about £100 but i got a deal on them when i bought my bike.
    hey a4ash,

I ride the same bars like you for a year now. They're really great.[8D]

• BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    I am goind to go against what everyone else is saying.

I don't think: AEROBARS = FASTER

NO WAY!

YOU see so many poeple at tris who are obviouslly following the advice that: AERO = FASTER

The go along in a position they are clearly not comfortable in where they can't push and pull the peddles powerfully or with the correct technique.

Just becuase you are aero does not make you faster the most important thing is power output, power output is increased by strength and good even pedal technique both of which are more dificult to achive in aero position.

If you are new to cycling I would advise taking your time building up strength and good technique in the standard position, gradually make that position more extreme then maybe add some aerobars later.

If you have a your heart set on being a aerobar tart and the ones you have really dont feel right then I advise trying a number of models with diferent angles and reach and also perhaps playing with your stem length and seat hight - You will end up with a comprimse between being comfrotable in standard position or in aero position.

So ho thinks they would be faster without their aerobars?
    Hey BARNY,

you're right about the comfy thing. Being uncomfortable in the aero position for an hour or a lot more, is not giving you advantage. Not being able to give enough power or good technique is not helping either. But I'm sure that can be prevented by getting a proper bike fit with aerobars. I'm sure that the people who do bike fittings (well, the good ones at least), don't give you the best aero position. Instead they compromise between the best aero AND comfy position. There's no use in getting you cripple to the start of the run after a 7 hour bike ride.

I think there are some people on the forum who are pro bike fitters, that can share their thought about this. Aero blob is one of them I think to remember (sorry if I'm wrong aero blob[:)]).

• lowther76lowther76 Posts: 74
    Ok i have been out today and bought myself some cheapish prfile design aero bars and have been testing my set up on the indoor trainer to start with. [:)]

Seems ok but think i might have to move my seat forward a bit - sound normal??

Also now i have them on the bike I have had to move the cateye cordless cycle computer - where can i fit it on my bike now so it will still work?? [8|]

Thanks!! Chris
  • Thanks for all the replys/advice. It seems the consensus is that aerobars are good, as long as they are set up right. Had a go at using them today. Went well until 6 miles when chain snapped!!!! Phoned wife to pick me up, she was delighted, as you can imagine. (Note to self: next time don't take up new sport when wife has just started Masters degree and has loads of assignments to do).
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    Times over 10 miles on my road bike were as follows

No aero bars fitted 29.03

Aero bars fitted 26.53

Apparently being in the aero position causes you hips to rotate and in some cases allow more power to be applied to legs. I just made sure i practiced lots to know exactly which gear i could turn for the required time.

They do tend to make your bike front end heavy though, so if you have alot of climbing to do 'en route' i would leave them off.