Home Chat General Chat

Buying bikes from ebay

Hmmm... its come to the point where my trust Giant SCR3 is getting alittle old (i earn alittle more) and im thinking its time for a new bike. But the velo side of my triathalon has been fairly weak and i know there are some terribly expensive mistakes to be made with out the right advice.

so here i am, asking for some help with a second bike- i have had a test ride on a brand new Specialized Tarmac Comp (which was lovely), but then thought id check out ebay and there is quite a selection, but is this good idea? Is buying a second hand bike a good idea or is it best to shell out for a new one (bearing in mind it would be £1600 by the time id finished with the extras.

i know that £1600 is within my budget, and thats the figure i need to spend to move it onto the next level but cant help but be tempted by the idea of a glittery bargain.

Any ideas?

To give you an idea of the kind of thing i mean check out this link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250222389242&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

chaz mush. easy now

Comments

• legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    I know loads of poeple buy second hand bikes, the only thing I would say, is be sure you know what you are getting. There is always the danger of a cracked or weakened frame, that looks fine on the surface but is a total waste of money.

If you can buy one from someone you know/trust or from a dealer who will give you a warranty so much the better
  • KiwiPaulKiwiPaul Posts: 46
    I got my current bike from ebay and was happy to do so as a newbie on a tight budget - just make sure you do your research thoroughly beforehand as to the spec you want - but do be prepared for the inevitable "oh, if only that bit was a different size" etc.... Like you I'm just upgrading and was also tempted by the many many glittery options out there and the sniff of an internet bargain. However I decided to make sure I got the right bike that fitted me in all areas so have gone for a custom build with triandrun.com. Have ended up spending an extra £250/400 over buying the equivalent Specialized/Giant/Bianchi, but am happier with the whole custom fit thing and the benefit of dealing face to face with the guys in the bike shop. For £1,600 you could get a pretty good custon build over an off the peg. I was also looking at Kinetic-One but their store was too far away and triandrun are just down the road. Good luck and enjoy.