Home Chat General Chat

Cadence

Hi,

Im just curious as to what cadence you all train at? generally I train at 95.

Comments

• rj1265rj1265 Posts: 70
    Hi

The cadence is dependent on the type of session you are doing. e.g.

Base session , I tend to spin ~ 90-95 rpm, keeping HR within certain limits

Strength Session (e.g. Hill Climb in BIG gear) cadence could be 55-65 rpm

Turbo TT session warm up 15 mins then 60 mins with HR 85%-90% , tend to keep @ 90 rpm using gears to maintain the HR / cadence ratio followed by a 15 warm down.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    In the past, I was around 80 rpm. After being told by several people who rode with me that my cadence was too low and gear too heavy, I tried this winter during base training to get it up. I read several articles about it and most of them talk about approx. 90 being a good cadence. Top cyclists go higher, but for triathletes perhaps its different.

So now I try to get by at 85 or so. More doesn't feel good for me. I guess theory is great, but it has to feel right for yourself too.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Yeh, I was told 90-95 was a good place to start and since then i feel uncomfortable at any other pace really....
  • I'm a natural 87, thought it was meant to be 80-90 :S Oh well

Any higher seems a bit silly, legs are spinning but I don't feel like I am putting any power down, and lower = pedal stamping.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    87 for me too... well, I aim for 90, but always seem to be doing 87 when I glance at my cadence counter.
  • my average used to be about 70 but is now up to about 85, (though I drop to 80 up hills and increase to 90 down them). I'd like to get up to an average of 90 but, like the other guys I feel as if I lose power and just start spinning if I go too high. I think the Elite triathletes average about 95 on the flat.