Home Chat General Chat

First tri after effects

I did my first gym based tri on Sunday, and I woke up the next morning with thr worst sciatica that I have ever had. Could this be because I am doing something wrong (bad posture maybe) during the tri, because I have tried to do too much too quick, or just coincidence?

Any ideas before I bankrupt myslef at the physio again...

Comments

• pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    Hi Supercaz

First of all congrats on your maiden tri - don't let the pain take away from the sense of achievement!

About the sciatica - I used to frequently get pain in my lower back just above my right hip after long training runs or events. I went to the physio who blamed a banger of a car that I used to drive years ago which let cold air in at the base of the door... long story! Anyway after a couple of physio sessions I also found that more cushioned runners helped and also that I tended to veg on the (soft) sofa after an event which made back pain flare up the next day. Since I've avoided these things my back has been fine (touch wood).

Hope this helps.
  • SuperCazSuperCaz Posts: 54
    Thanks pacman. I should have expanded.

I've been getting scaitica on and off for about 3 years. The root cause was bad driving position in the car and sitting at a desk all day. I thought running was the problem but actually it was just the straw that broke the camels back.

New car (chosen completely on driving position), core strenthening exericses and rearranged desk later, and I now only get the odd twinge.

But the pain today is much worse and has been getting worse all day. Numb left arm, sore left shoulder / neck and my sciatica on the right is currently on a frequency of about every 3 seconds.

I've booked physio for tomorrow but can't see anyone sooner.

What I don't know is what I have done to set it off this time.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    heres hoping that by the time you read this you will be more comfortable after physio, but what comprised your tri? Events/distances?
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Hi Supercaz! Congratulations and commiserations at the same time... weel done for the tri, sorry to hear about your back.

This was a gym-based tri, I think? Was it your usual gym i.e. are you used to the exercise bikes there? Just wondering if the bike could be the cause.

After all the care we all take to get our bikes set up to fit us properly, I'm sure most of us do a bit of damage on badly fitted static bikes at the gym. I get nasty back ache after an hour on the ones at my local gym.
  • SuperCazSuperCaz Posts: 54
    It was a gym based tri.

500m swim, get out and get changed (not allowed to be wet on the gym equipment because of the electrics), 10k on the bike and 4k on the treadmill.

The whole thing (including transitions) took me 1 hr 1 min.

I wouldn't have thought that each disipline was too much for me as I usually swim over 2000m in training, cycle for an hour and run for at least 5 miles, but I was wondering whether putting them together, under race conditions could have been too much.

Physio inflicted her pain last night and has left me with lots of bruising. She says it's a neck problem which is trapping nerves, causing the back and arm pain/numbness. I allowed to carry on with exercise as long as it doesn't cause me pain, but as simply sitting, standing or laying down currently hurts, I don't think I will be doing much over the next week or so.

I still ahve no idea what has caused it. I think it might just be one of those things where you twist or sleep funny and it causes all the mucles to go into spasm. So it may or may not be tri related.