Home Chat General Chat

Bunged up day after swimming

For some reason the morning after my swim, i feel really bunged up and sniffly, also sneeze a lot and its kind of smells like chlorine (not that im in the habit of smelling my sneezes) by the end of the day ill be fine.

I can only think its cos i swallow to much water, does this sound right?

How can i stop it? or is this normal?

Maybe im not breathing right?

Any ideas or comments welcome

Comments

• CalimaCalima Posts: 35
    It is a very common problem with many people, it's the chlorine, I always sneezed for England when I got home after training Some people use nose clips which apparently help, but then you have to get use to breathing through your mouth all the time ugh!! Stay with it, it will become better.
  • ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    Join the club!
  • Yeah, me n'all... always have a sneeze fest after the pool... not straight away but after about an hour... trying to go for seven sneezes in a row, just to test out the theory... all in the interest of science of course!![:D]
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    This was an ongoing problem for me aswell until i read a thread in this forum which discussed similar issues. I found that I sneezed a lot and that my nose would run for about 3/4 hours after a swim. Then I started taking an antihistamine before going swimming and it cleared the problem up. Also avoid the jacuzzi as the chlorine level in these yokes is about three times that in the pool. But a good sauna opens up the skin pores and allows any chlorine that is on /in the skin to be sweated out.
  • mike_trimike_tri Posts: 60
    I also always get bunged up after swimming, in fact i'm bunged up right now[&:][&:][&:]
  • a4asha4ash Posts: 29
    thanks to all for your replies. i feel much better knowing that im normal and that my pool is not some radioactive cesspit.

i guess that means if i did an open water swim i shouldnt have any problems??

• bonkerbonker Posts: 13
    Been there, done that, get a nose clip and wave goodbye to post swim sniffles.
  • the bellythe belly Posts: 125
    [:D]yes the nose clip works i still sneeze a bit but the bunged up bit goes... i dont get this problem in open water... so no need for the clip there..[:D][:)][8|]
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Sounds like a bit of an allergy issue, although it could be a reaction to the pool itself.

There's a few things that go on in pools: you've got nice clean water, then you chuck in a load of swimmers, kids, keep-your-hair-dry types etc and suddenly you're adding sweat, pee, talcum powder, sun-tan lotion (if your pool has an outside area like the one I swim in) and who knows what else.

You get sugars and pollutants which allow bacteria to feed 'n' breed. The solution (no pun intended) is chlorine, which kills bugs but also produces chloramines in the process. *If there are any chemists or people who look after pools please step in here*

This can cause a gas which lies over the surface of the pool (not chlorine gas, but to do with the chloramines) which is an extreme irritant to the nose, eyes and lungs. It is also dissolved in the water.

Basically, assuming the chlorine is maintained within correct limits, a cold pool with lots of ventliation is best for you.

More of my banging on about this subject is here: http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=7478&mpage=2&key=&#9311

If your pool is clean and cool you could try anti-histamines for a bit - note that you have to keep taking them daily as they have a cumulative effect - to see if they work. I use Loratadine (which is non-drowsy) based drugs during the summer to stop my hay-fever and it means I get six months of sniffle-free swimming....

If you suspect that the problems are pool hygiene related then have a go at the manager. See who else is affected, report problems in the Health and Safety log, call the local council. Often a drop of 1 or 2 degrees can make a huge difference.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I have the cure: Hold one nostril closed and then blow like mad through the other, repeat with other nostril. Continue this process until clear. The de-lux method involves sheets of kitchn roll!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Well put Bop..all true, having served my time running pools/spas etc, your description is spot on. The main problem being that all pool managers across the country have to chase the dollar & a few years ago someone noticed that if you icrease the pool temp more people come to the pool (note I am not saying they swim...) and takings go up, so pool A gets warmer, pool B notices a drop in paying punters so puts up temp of pool B, and off we go there has been a net increase in pool temps over the last 20 years..it is not that you imagined pools were colder when you were a nipper, they really were. Anyhoo, the point being that a nice warm chemical soup creates more chloramines, more allergic reactions etc, you can try appealing to the powers that be but here where I am, they will not listen, even if you bring up the negative 'green' issue of heating such a volume of water, the cost contribution of this act to overall running costs etc. Incidentally if you can find out from a tame staff member when they backwash the pool, then you will get cooler, fresher water with less of a chemical load, si if they backwash Wednesday late, then Thursday morning would be a better time to swim, giving a few hours for fresh water to be in the pool, but not enough for it to be at soup temperature.
  • BilleyBilley Posts: 4
    And there I was thinking that it was just me!. Add in the idiots who go swimming when they should be taking a day off and the average swimming pool is a soup of bacteria and viruses.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    It looks like loads of us suffer with this! I was advised to take Piriton tablets or any similar anthistamine. I'm generally not a pill muncher but if the symptoms are really bad, it definately helps.
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Don't know if it's the same for any of you guys but the showers in the pools up here in Aberdeenshire are also chlorinated so the stuff stays on your skin until you can get a real shower.

Which means my early morning swim sessions leaves chlorine on me until my next shower - wonderful!

Richard
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    Try Beconase hayfever nasal spray, two sprays in each nostril before swimming, works for me...
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    WHAT???? Chlorinated showers???[sm=rolleyes.gif]

Who invents these things? Surely notpeople who love to swim.

I've been in dozens of different pools in Belgium and never saw or heard anything like that.

On the other hand, I really never heard of anyone here that has similar problems like you guys, nor like the 'chlorine alergy' thread some time ago. Seems like a lot of people on the forum are into this. Never heard anyone here who has it in Belgium?! Now I'm sure there's chlorine in pools here too. Maybe there is a different standard or range of used products in the UK? Maybe worth checking if the responsible instantions are too lush on the chemicals?
    I believe that different standards do apply in different countries, I was always lead to believe that in Europe (yes I konw we are in Europe, but I mean continental europe), they 'dump' more water more regularly, so fresher water means fewer chemicals..& generally cooler water, which would tend to eliminate most of the symptoms mentioned, also the use of other technologies such as ozone is more prevalent..mostly because not everyone looks to run stuff as cheaply as possible in the short term like we tend to here in the UK.
  • turbotimturbotim Posts: 7
    i suffer chronic rhinitus and originally found that the chlorine helped for a good clear out. (apologies to other pool users)

as i spent more time in the water the old schnosser got a bit too irritated.

solution, nose clip, got used to it quite quickly and don't notice it at all now.

takes some re adjustment in open water without it though.

best thing to clear a blocked nose is vapourised saline squirted up your nose. i bought my "narium natural mist" in australia but haven't seen it here.

your case sounds more like chlorine though - verdict - nose clip.[:'(]
    Not sure about the regulations thing across europe but there is def. a cultural difference - I lived in germany for a number of years and before swimming, the folks there would shower properly before going in the water - all soaped up and washed hair! they would also wear swimming caps to prevent hair getting in the water.

In the UK, most 'civilians' turn up not having showered for a few days (judging by the smell!) and jump straight in the water.

Hardly surprising then that our water needs so much treatment.

good point & one I neglected to mention, also the reason that it is best to swim first thing as the pool will have been empty & therefore thru the filters a couple of times with no extra errr 'impurities' added, conversly worst time...just after school lessons, which is when I usually swim.....
    Was doing my usual monday night session last night at my local pool (Inverurie) - the water was like a soup - cloudy, lots of floating debris including plasters and hair, and a great deal of 'sand' on the bottom.

Was actually quite glad for the chlorine overdose!

First thing I'm going to do when I win the lottery is to build my own pool!

Happy swimming!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Great idea. Should be great having your own pool. If somebody has a spare one, please send to Benny in Belgium.

Thanks in advance,

Benny himself [8D][8D]
  • KiwiPaulKiwiPaul Posts: 46
    As a "pool nose" sufferer I was pleased to hear I wasn't alone. I can happily report that I spent my first Saturday night at home without sneezing and my wife giving me grief etc in ages after buying a nose clip. Best £3 I've spent in yonks - go get one they really work !!