Home Chat General Chat

Best way to avoid injuries

just wondering after never really been uninjured for about a month now are there any ways of remaining injury free. If i increased my protein intake would this make my muscles stronger and therefore less prone to injury, or not. and can anyone think of any other ways of reducing the amount of injuries we get[8|]

Comments

• a4asha4ash Posts: 29
    i used to get a lot of injuries in the gym and on the bike by going into things to hard to quick.

i now warm up properly for 10 mins, spend 5 mins stretching off then train, afterwards i do another 5 mins cooling down then have a stretch off.

touch wood, i've not been injured in a long while.

also if your feeling a bit under the weather, adjust your intensity accordingly, theres no point running your immune system down further by taking all your nutrients away.

i use a whey protein powder but its no substitute for a well balanced diet, so although i recommend it after training its no good if you dont eat well
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Have you tried yoga,pilates or body balance that sort of thing, excellant for flexability and core strength.
  • hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Depends what sort of injuries mike. I havent been on here for a while, thought Id have a peek. Ive had a running injury since Nov partly myself to blame taking pain killers to get through long runs. If its running injuries definetly strenghthen muscles and tendons.

If youve got a balanced diet increasing protien wont make a differnce to injury protection.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    It has taken me a long time, and my first proper injury, to learn that training does not mean going nuts for each session - or even for part of a session - every time you go out.

I've learned a huge amount about the value that there is in working your body in a firm but fair way. No point plodding, but also no point in being a hero every time you train. Save 85% of the heroics for specific training in the last 6-12 weeks before your peak event.

And of course, keep 110% of the heroics in reserve for your big day(s) [:D]

Summary, from my self-inflicted and utterly stupid recent injuries: to avoid injury... back off a bit and save race-pace for race-day.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Hi Mike,

Like the others have said, always always warm up and cool down properly and ensure that you stretch all your major muscle groups.

Take a good look at your training sessions and make sure that you balance things out a bit and if you can get a session in that is more about relaxation/flexibility - such as Yoga etc or a good massage then this will help loads. Even a good sauna will be beneficial if you can't/don't want to do the others.

As your body needs energy and nutrients to recover, try and eat something good within 30 mins of finishing your workout - it' s when your body is most able to use what you put in to aid recovery.

It's hard to do, but rest when you are injured and make sure to heal the injury before putting it under more stress. Remember, you don't drive your car at 100mph everywhere you go - especially if the tyres are a bit worn down!

Hope you get back on top form soon

• hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Mike, bopomofo has hit the nail on the head, wise words. read his reply twice!lol[;)]
  • PC67PC67 Posts: 101
    Yep, generally agree with bopomofo. More often than not I train within my limits but remain concious that if I want to improve some tough training must come in at some time to increase these limits. I trust the messages my body sends me. Even if I set out to do a tough session, if my body doesn't feel up for it I let it go. I know when I put in an honest effort and that's all I can ask of myself. Sometimes I only set out to do a medium session but my body surprises me so I push it. I find that by and large the breakthrough you're looking for comes in due course. Pushing yourself to meet an arbitrary target can be a dangerous strategy.

I set out to do a tough swim set on Tuesday but fell so far short of my goals I was down in the dumps for a day. I've been to the pool twice since, just taking a step back and reminding myself it's supposed to be fun, and lo and behold the second session was pretty much where I was hoping to be at this week.