Home Chat General Chat

What to wear and how to change in transition area

HI

I have registered for my first triathlon and am a bit lost as to what to wear that I can easy change (if I have to) from swim-bike. I want to make sure that I get this right as I do not want to lose time from painful rubbing or uncomfortable, unsuitable clothing.

I was considering a two piece ORCA suit but have heavy up top and feel that this would not be enough support for the run.

if anyone has any good advise or website it would be much appreciated.

My current idea is: Swim in a swim suit(with bra under it), in transition area slip on some cycling shorts over the top ,then after cycle change then for running ones. Is this to much flapping about?

It isn’t until July so I have time to research.

Sam

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I will of course defer to any female triathletes who reply, but consulting with Lady Britspin, on this issue, she says trisuit, all in one, good sportsbra underneath, no 'flapping' as you put it, support where & when you need it, no need to change at all, a good fit should eliminate chafing etc.

Hope this helps..over to you ladies...
  • HI

Thanks for the advice. I will check them out

Sam

PS

when i said flaping about i meant wasting time changing he he
    I guessed that was your meaning, I was just being mischievous with my quote marks. Altho you do know that now everyone has a picture in their head....
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    And what a picture!

I think piglet asked this question about 4 / 5 months ago in general chat and the ladies all had a good chat about what's the most efficient / comfortable etc.
  • pigletpiglet Posts: 86
    Hi Sam

I would try riding your bike with the swimsuit underneath BEFORE you race. I personally find the seams in a standard swimsuit are too thick and will cut into you when on the bike. I chaffed all the skin from the top of my thighs cycling home from the beach in a wet swimsuit- not pretty- even drew blood![:@]. If the distances you are racing are sprint to olympic then don't "flap about" changing from cycle shorts to running shorts. I ran my last sprint tris in bike shorts no problem. Wouldn't want to do longer than Olympic distance though.

I wear my bike shorts and an Asics lycra sports bra under the wetsuit. In T1 I pull on a T-shirt and then add cycle shoes and helmet and I'm off. In T2 I just change into running shoes and swap bike helmet for suncap. Transition times will be faster in a Tri suit but until you really know whether this is for you- stick to the minimum expenditure- unless of course you have dosh to burn!!!!
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Hi there Sam,

I have only done a couple of races, the first in the swim suit and shorts combination and I can wholeheartedly agree about chaffing! AND there's that lovely problem of getting the shorts on inside out/back to front etc etc (been there, done that!) I've just bought a tri suit and it's fab I thought I'd need a sportsbra under it but have found that I don't, although on a longer run I think I'd be tempted to go for the extra suppport. If you're still looking for one, I'd recommend the Triumph TriAction - the best I've ever worn!

On the flapping about front - the worst thing I ever did was not check my shoe laces, got to T2 and went to put my running shoes on, only to find the laces were in knots from when I took them off before! Now I use elastic laces - they save loads of flapping. "friends" of mine say I used to take so long in transition I might as well have stopped and put the kettle on for a nice cuppa!

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I once very carefully pinned my race numbers to the front and back of my t-shirt, only to find out during T1 that I had pinned the front and back of my shirt together. That was probably one of the longest transitions on record - apart from a friend who fell asleep in T2 at London...

Solution: get a race belt.

My other big mistake, actually in the same race, was to not put socks on for the run. My feet looked like raw hamburger by the time I'd finished. Now I have a pair of running socks pre-filled with talc sitting with my shoes. May have been caused by rubbish shoes or poor fit, but I was hurt badly enough that I have never taken the chance again. I spend an extra 10s in transition, but hey. Elastic lock-laces speed things up enormously.

Regarding chafing: pre-race vaseline. Lots and lots of vaseline. You can even rub some on the sides of your bike seat to prevent them wet legs squeaking against the plastic. Be careful, though, or you'll be sliding off. [:)] A swim suit (or swim trunks for us blokes) is a poor choice for running in, as it has an edge in the groin. Proper tri shorts or a suit are far better, and usually give you some padding for the bike.

As general advice, go with whichever solution means that you DON'T have to flap about with putting clothing on or off during transition.

• taytay Posts: 18
    Thanks everyone - have also entered my first tri in July and as well as worrying about the swimming am even more worried about what to wear on top! can i wear just a sports bra and tri shorts under the wetsuit do you think and then pop a running top on when i go for the cycle?
    you could, or get a tri suit with no need to change anything, or you could run in your bike shirt..with useful pockets, whichever you do, get a race belt to put your number on, then you will not be poking holes in your kit &/or faffing with numbers & pins in transition.
  • insideinside Posts: 22
    You need to join a club - then you ask all the other lady athletes what works for them. Or go to a triathlon as a speccie and watch what other people do.

Modern swimming cossies seem to have bike short type legs built in rather than high cut

The cheeky answer is, wear as little clothing as your modesty will allow...

PS - It is against the laws of physics to put dry clothes on a wet body.