Home Chat General Chat

Cartlidge Operation

Dear All,

I am due to have a cartlidge removed from my left knee in a week or so. I would be interested to hear from anybody else who may have had this op, and perhaps how training and competing went afterwards.

Any feed back would be most appreciated. [:)]

Comments

• the bellythe belly Posts: 125
    [:D]yes i would like to know how it goes too. my doctor as said that my cartlige as gone a bit? but he seemed to be reluctunt to let me have a scan? and gave me some tablets to reduce the inflamation? im not that happy about that.. anyway is it good to have it done and can you still run after? if so how long would it take to get back training etc... the doc said it would only be a 10 minute operation with key hole surgery... so i would also like some info of others please who have had this done... let us know[:)]
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    I had some knee surgery a few years back to sort out some pain I was experiencing.

Firstly, don't be fobbed off with pills, they just mask the underlying issues. If you need it, get the op!

Lasted about 15 minutes and was told I would need 6 weeks full recovery with no exercise.

I suspect these recovery times are guidelines for 'civilians' and not for us fit and healthy types who tend to recover far quicker!

Took about a week off then some gentle walking - let my body tell me when it was ready - any pain and I backed off.

Its the old 'softly, softly, catchy monkey' approach.

Was back to full training in about 15 days.

good luck!
  • the bellythe belly Posts: 125
    [:)] thanks for that samutri ile be back to my doctor and give him grief. after all i dont smoke or drink and i try to keep fit, i think i deserve to be treated well, in fact i deserve it more than some obese monster whos eaten too much sitting on their backside and then wants a stomach op etc...but ive got to get ironman nice out of the way first? but then i may have to wait 6 months or more to get any operation anyway... keep tri ing theres people to beat[:D]