Home Chat General Chat

bike food

I hate energy bars!!!!

I can eat one but then I just really don't fancy any more!

has any one got a good alternative??

might try bananas, I did try a mars bar but didn,t agree with me when I run of the bike

Comments

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    tried energy gels? i cant bear to eat anything solid when i'm on the bike or running. i only use energy gels and take on some water to wash the sticky goo down. works for me, give it a try [:)]
  • scott298scott298 Posts: 122
    ok cheers jon!

i give that a go!![;)]

by the way can you see my pic below my name?? 'cos it isn't showing when i look???[&:]
    yeah, it's a firey thing with the ironman m-dot in it. can you see mine? i cant see mine either.....!!!![&:]
    no theres no pic on yours [&:]
    ah dammit! cool, thanks. i'll give it another go......[:@]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Try making your own...there are loads of flapjack recipes on tinterweb to make one to your tastes...add & subtract what you like/dislike &you are good to go.
    nice one!!

will have a look at recipes, this is probly a cheaper option too[:D]
  • gpgp Posts: 4
    Try Jaffa Cakes, I find them great.
    not to keen on jaffa cakes!

I might have a wonder round asda looking at all the nutritional values [:D]

I got my ingredients to make my own CHOCOLATE flapjacks [:)] I will do that tonight
    I will of course be expecting a sample to see if your efforts compare to Lady Britspins fine foods.
  • LuckyLucky Posts: 137
    Jaffa cakes get my vote (and my 18 month daughter seems to love them as well I discovered today)
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    I've always found raspberry jam sandwiches (wholemeal bread, of course!) to be superb for long rides.

Did 120miles just after christmas and they were wonderful.

The slice of christmas cake helped as well!

• legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Add some honey to your flapjacks! it works a treat

Now scott has outed himself..can I confess I don't like most 'energy' drinks?

Hypo/hyper/added protein whatever, I find them mostly oversweet & even on short races my taste perception changes & they turn to glue in my mouth, to the point last year I was happy with maxim flavour free & a dash of ribena....then I couldn't stand ribena either! I have only raced sprints so far, so water is OK, but if I decide I want to go longer..what then?
  • KiwiPaulKiwiPaul Posts: 46
    I've been trialling different bars and drinks over the last couple of months and have found that I really like the High5 range, especially the bars. They're easy to chew and actually taste good as they're covered in choc or yoghurt - energy content is right up there too versus the likes of PowerBar etc.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Try different brands and tastes(like kiwipaul)of gels or bars.

There's a lot of difference between them, there are litterally hundreds of sorts. I get my bars from holland, they're made of teff(some kind of Ethiopian grain) and give direct and extended energy. Not sticky, not too sweet and easy on the go. I would actually eat them without training, really have to hold myself[:)]
    teff?.......something else to confuse me with..
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    try this link, contains some info on teff, if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teff
    Cheers Benny...on a teff quest!
  • gruffymaxgruffymax Posts: 21
    I love the SIS stuff. The PSP22 energy drink is very effective, tastes reasonable and doesn't have any salts in which is good for the cooler weather when you don't sweat as much. The 'Go electrolyte' is the one for when you sweat lots. I find that the 'Go' does get a bit overpowering after the first few gulps. I only pack 'Go' is I know the weather is hot. Even then I only mix it 50/50 with 'PSP22'.
  • i like trek bars , they're cold pressed so all the good stuff isn't cooked out of them . low fat aswell
  • Like Gruffymax, I enjoy the Sis Stuff.... i sweat A LOT and so the GO electrolyte works very well for me and also on long rides have a GO gel after an hour and then one every 30 minutes after that, they work a treat and you also don't have to drink water with them and they are reasonably palatable!!!
  • krazycalkrazycal Posts: 45
    I quite like brunch bars plus you get a whole packet for basically the price f one energy bar