Home Chat General Chat

Protein

Hello hello,

I was after a bit of advice. I am trying to build muscle in my upper body - something that I have never been able to do very well despite over 10 years of competitive swimming. Perhaps this is because, as a vegetarian, I am not getting enough protein... anybody have any recommendations for sources that could help me - I don't want to put on much, if any, weight, or even bulk up, just have lean, dense muscle mass.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• scott298scott298 Posts: 122
    hello,

the only two things that spring to mind are protein shakes and baked beans!!
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    NUTS, Some BEANS PULSES, tofu, milk, yogouht, cheese surely if you doing spoarts a dn vegi you would be eating all of these anyway?

Fish!
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Im assuming you dont just swim..... if you want to build uper body mass/size then you need a decent weights workout... I hear a 3x week full body workout is very good. check the mens health forum for a few ideas...
  • a4asha4ash Posts: 29
    I use PHD pharma whey, its a protien suplement with only 100 calories and very few carbs, it gives 20g protein per serving, it mixes well and tastes ok, i take 3 servings a day.

• jayjayjayjay Posts: 10
    soy products are also a good source of vegetarian proteins, such as tofu, soy sausages, soy sauce. I read that vegetable products are generally not "complete" in reards to its amino acid makeup and they should be eaten to complement each other, for example: Say if their are around 21 amino acids, then one vegetable food source that has 13 different types of amino acids, should be eaten with another type of vegetable food source that contains the other 8 amino acids that were lacking in previous vegetable. these should be eaten together to get a complete source of the essential amino acids. The body can not make essential amino acids, it needs to obtain them from the diet. generally, meat and animal products are a better quality, and more complete source of all the amino acids.
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    My local Morrisons stocks 'corn fed chicken' - does that count? [;)]

Seriously though, remember that you only need around 1g of protein for every 1kg of body weight - so if you weigh 70kg, you only need 70g of protein per day.

Can you do eggs? They have a very high level of 'usable' protein.

• hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Id be very suprised if you are a "healthy" vegetarian ie not a junk food one, you wouldnt be getting enough protein. I dont eat meat but do eat fish and eggs, even if you just ate eggs Id imagine along with nuts etc it should make up your daily intake.

As for working out and acheiving lean muscle mass, have you thought about EFAs? Udo's oil is worth looking at.
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    What hasn't been mentioned, of course, is good old couscous - an almost perfect recovery food - it has around 15% protein and 50% carbs.

Let it soak in some hot stock, strain it off and mix in some veggies - flippin gorgeous!

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    And another great recipe from chef Samu[:D].