Home Chat General Chat

names for loyal speed machines

bennybenny Posts: 1,314
In pursuit of the "I'm addicted thread", ( http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=12392) ,lets go with those names for those all-important bikes.

What do you name him/her, do you say it out loud or not?

And what we really need to know: does the misses know you do it???[>:]...... [:)]..........[:D][:D].

Comments

• mike_trimike_tri Posts: 60
    my bikes called lance, after lance armstrong, shame it doesn't go as fast as him..... i'm sure my bike thinks about me just as much as i think about it[:D]. i've never shouted my bikes name as i rode but i've shouted many other things mainly begining with f or s and ending with, well i'm sure you can all guess[:D]
  • pigletpiglet Posts: 86
    Merlot is my touring bike- named after the bike's colour and my favourite tipple- when touring there's always room for a bottle of wine in a pannier.

Buzz is my roadie Scott CR1 Carbon- cos it's black and yellow

Black Adder is my very dated stiff tail MTB cos it's a black Diamondback - also one of my fav TV series. I do sing the Blackadder song when riding this one- anything to keep the bike in one piece!!

I name my cars and motorbikes too- all started with The Yellow Poo- a Ford Cortina stationwagon inherited from my brother and you guessed it- the colour of baby poo.
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    Ive named my Fast,Mean,time-trial machine 'Fearless'.Takes a darn good hammering and has the capability to go crazy speeds.No Fear
  • learnerlearner Posts: 100
    I've named my winter bike "pink panther" it's an old trek 2300 which I've had sprayed T-mobile pink. I call her by her name all the time and my workmates think I've gone nuts. The wife knows but is firmly stuck in denial.

My good bike is a specialized allez "2003" old but in mint condition (unlike me).

the good thing about it is the wife doesn't notice all the upgrades that keep happening. I've never named her.....any suggestions???

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Call me weird (asif I didn't know that yet [8D]), but I call mine 'Nosferat'.

It was my nickname 10 years ago when I played bass-guitar in a metal band.

Since my bike is a Black as night Ridley, I decided to call it like that. It has an evil twist to it, maybe that helps to get the competition scared (not very likely[&:]), so I can leave them behind.

Please don't tell anyone[:)][:)][:D][:D][:D]
  • pigletpiglet Posts: 86
    In reply to leaner's request for ideas for his bike: what about alleyoop? It's a play on the word Allez (your bike model) and comes from a basketball term

"An alley oop in basketball is an offensive play in which one player throws the ball up near the basket to a teammate (or, much more rarely, to himself) who jumps, catches the ball in mid air and immediately scores a basket, usually with a slam dunk. It is an impressive way to score and often electrifies the spectators. The alley oop combines elements of teamwork, pin-point passing, timing, and dunking." Wikipedia

• mike_trimike_tri Posts: 60
    i've no idea what you should call your bike learner, a name has to come from deep down inside yourself, just like when you name a dog, but then i wanted to call my dog spanner... so i'm probly not the best person to ask for advice. anyway, does anyone know the aerodynamic disadvantages of putting christmas tree lights on a road bike[8|], just thought she could do with a face lift... [:D]
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    You lot are all far too nice to your steeds. My old clanker is called 'The Bus' on account of a bit of a weight problem, and when heaving all 20lbs of it up a steep hill I am often heard shouting 'Move it, you b*tch."

I mate of mine, who is a bit of a weight weenie, has cruelly suggested that I ought to require an HGV licence to ride it.
  • learnerlearner Posts: 100
    piglet, thanks for that but that moves sounds a bit too technical for me, now if was a posh name for " falling off in style when your left foot gets stuck in the stupid clipless pedal and ending up in a heap outside your front door in front of the neighbours" I'd have gone for it.

and Mike tri, from your advice I think i'm leaning towards "spleen" it's deep down inside of me and when i ride in traffic i can often be heard venting my spleen at all the stupid tin can bound half wits who think i need a layer of their paint on my tights. Oops slipped into spleen venting mode then.

That seals it the beautiful zebra stripped bike is now called "spleen".

• mines called fuzzy coz its a Felt (this may be waisted on the youngsters )
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    @ bodhisattva: Ha ha ha. I had the farmyard set.
  • ah! the days of proper toys . i was just as happy with the original and it cost less .
    I'll get a new bike for my 30'th birthday this summer, maybe I should start thinking names for that one by now?![;)]
  • KarlOnSeaKarlOnSea Posts: 28
    Three bikes:

Trixie the Fixie, my 1980s, steel-framed fixed wheel conversion. She's a saucy minx who'll spank my butt while giving me the thrill of my life. . . . . . Errrrrrrr . . . . .

Wilf, a Sturdy Commuting Bike - Revolution Courier '06 with mudguards, rack, extra bottle cages, etc, etc

Christine, Giant SCR Ltd with Profile Airwing + Aerobars, Dura Ace bar-ends, and uprated Ultegra / Drua Act transmission. Originally she was called Gina, but then I figured out that she was actually possessed, like the car in the Stephen King book, so she got her name changed.

I probably think about this too much.
  • My secretly ever upgraded Giant OCR 1 is called 'Dave' as in David Essex's 'Silver dream machine' (Note to the under 40's, He was a curly haired singer with a dodgy East London accent in the 70's, oh and the women used to fancy him apparently!)
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    [image]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm61/pendonx/myiphonepictures032.jpg[/image]

THIS IS 'FEARLESS'

THIS DOES HAVE MY TRAINING WHEELS ON.CLASSIC SPINERGY REV-X
    Okay,.... so erh,...[:o]now we don't dare to show our pictures anymore,.....

Seriously: three things: great pic, great bike, but you definately need to get that lawnmower fixed[8D]lol

• rodderzrodderz Posts: 14
    you name your bikes.[&:]

mad... i have a bmx, dh bike, other road bike, other mtb, 4x race bike and not one has a name. they like being jumped, that is enough
    I think I'll name my new bike: 'aero ruler'.[8D]

No, sorry, that would be too much[>:]

Gotta think now...... [8|]
  • mine is a bit naughty so ill censor it! its called F**khammer II its named after my shopper bike that i ride to work on, its perhaps the geekiest bike in the world and friend from work called it F**khammer to give it an edge! so my weekend machine is the bike it wishes it could be so hence the II!
  • FastWestieFastWestie Posts: 26
    Let's see

Commuting bike: bitsa cos its made out of bits and pieces

Race bike: Tin Can cos it is a Cannondale and in polished ally

Full sus MTB: Stumpy cos it is a Specialized Stumjumper FSR

Hardtail MTB: Rocky 2 cos it is the second Specialized Hardrock

Sad I know!

<- And this is Westie 3