Home Chat General Chat

New bike or upgrading???

bennybenny Posts: 1,314
Hey everyone,

big issue for me here, thinking about it for months now.

This year I'm becoming 30, and get a budget of 1500€, which is approx. 1000£.

I'll spend it on the bike. I have a 4 year old Ridley triton excalibur, campy veloce 2*10 groupset, with aero bars and vento G3 wheels.

Question is: should I upgrade group and/or wheels, or should I get a new bike. I'm really gaging on the planet X time trial bike, and, as I try to go longer than olympic distance, think this is the right kind of bike for me.(and upgradeable over the coming years!?).

What is the best option for me( =biggest gains in quality and time)???

Comments

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    HHHHEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPP[:)] lol
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Benny, I'll tell you what you want to hear: Buy a new bike! However before you go head long into the Planet X shop consider a few things:1. Where are triathlon frames at the moment 2. What wheels are best 3. Expand your budget.

I know I am an unashamed bikeie but try slanecycles website and think about the trispecific P2C with a set of Corima or Zipp wheels. You want to buy a new bike - you just want us to justify it for you and tell you to do so .. well I'm telling you to do so but do not go at it half heartedly... GO FOR IT. As you know I treated myself to a dog's b*****ks P3/Record/Corima and I do not regret it. If you enjoy your sport get the best kit you can't afford and work like mad to justify it and to pay for it!

• lowther76lowther76 Posts: 74
    Interesting stuff. I agree but cant afford a brand new bike now but prob can afford to upgrade over next 6 months - wheels, forks, brakes, saddle whatever really. Takes the sting out for the short term and means you get to ride and train on a better bike. Ultimately it boils down to getting out and riding it regardless of how good it is - but if you like your sport then I agree and get the best you can afford.

as you seem to know your stuff about bikes TF what about saddles? I am considering a Fisik Arionne CX or Selle Italia SLR as i want something better to sit on than the Orbea saddle that came with my bike. Any other suggestions? Thanks
    Ok treefrog, I really want a new bike, you've got me there.

On the other hand, this is a one time thing, so I want it done right.

So if the experts here say upgrading wheels will get me further than a new bike, then I'll have to consider that.

My upper limit is really 1000£, not a penny more.

So,what to do, what to do ....???
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Lowther saddles are a personal thing and are also dependant on your ride position. I use a Selle Italia SLR XP on my road bike but could not use it at all on my tri bike as the geometry is different - I use the new Selle Italia flite. The good thing about Selle Italia is that they have test centres that allow you to try out the differnt saddles - well worth while.

Benny, Upgrade the wheels it does make a difference, but only if you really upgrade them and put decent tyre/tubs onto them, and then save like mad or take a small loan out and buy the frame +kit you want

thanx treefrog.

I think I'll post a thread about: '1000£ bike, which one?'.

I know its been done before a lot with other amounts, but I really need objective advice.