Home Chat General Chat

Fixed Wheel Cycling

treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
As some of you may have read on what training.....I have bought a fixed wheel Bianchi and have started to use it for solo trainig rides - it seems you can only go fast on them! Has anyone else used a fixed wheel and what are your thoughts - I think they are as good as beer! Great Stuff!

Comments

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    There brilliant if you live where theres hardley any hills otherwise youl kill yourself try to get up em
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    sorry, i'm confused. what exactly is a fixed wheel bike? do you back pedal to brake???
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    I love fixed gear bikes, think they look so nice. But i was advised not to get one untill i had three years of cycling behind me as my leg muscles developing.

Have lots of hills on my commute but good way of getting fit.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    A fixed wheel bike has no freewheel so you have to keep pedalling, if you pedal backwards it goes backwards. They have no gears so you have to chose your ratio and stick with it uphill, downhill and on the flat. I bought a Bianchi Pista which is a track bike but put a front brake on it.The brake is a legal requirement, but also a neccessity for taking the bike out into the world. I was going to cheat and put a freewheel on the other side ohe hub (a flip-flop) but I didn't, this forced me to get used to the fixed wheel and it's been the best thing ever. They are an excellent training tool and as for hills you just struggle up them and this makes you stronger.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    ah, it's all clear now, cheers. had a quick look at prices and they seem very reasonable, just might get one!