Home Chat General Chat

Shaving?!?

jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
Just trying to find out if anyone out there shaves? if so, how far up the legs and, anywhere else?(arms? chest?).

I've not shaved before and trying to find out if it's worth it.....

Comments

• SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Waxing is the only way to go!

I Get my legs done twice a year - just into the spring when its shorts weather and then a week before my 'big race'.

Get the whole leg done - nothing worse than the hairy boxer shorts look!

Damn sight easier than shaving and not nearly as sore as the bike to run transition!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Sounds brutal....I will continue to tolerate bleding legs & intermittent patches!
  • the bellythe belly Posts: 125
    [:)][:D]shaving i go all the way and more[:D] dont help cycling much but its great in bed?[:)]
    ...........for whom?
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    Shave one leg and have lots of fun on your own in bed[;)]

I shave as far as i can reach, then go all blotchy and moan. Nearly the time of year to get rid of the winter coat.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    OK. I have to admit that The Belly got me with my mental guard down. Now I have some nasty images stuck in my head. Seriously though guys... we all think it looks better - 'cos everybody can see our nicely defined cycling muscles [&:] - but does it actually help?

I shaved my legs last year before my big race - the London Olympic - because it was my first ever Olympic distance, I'd trained loads, and I had read in a few places that there was far more chance of the medics sticking a plaster or 'butterfly' onto a shaved leg if you fell off, rather than using stitches. So... with shaved legs you stood more chance of completing if you had an accident.

I'm not sure if this is true. Any comments from anybody who has experienced a crash while racing?

I could also guess that the more hirsute gentleman might have comfort issues with wetsuits (especially zips) if back hair is present.

I certainly couldn't justify the cost of waxing compared to a disposable razor. Has anybody ever tried the DIY waxing stuff? Is there anything specifically for men? I'm now filled with the idea of a macho waxing product for men only... maybe called IronWax... that would stop you feeling all effeminate for using it. [:)]

Or, to echo the OP question.... does it actually make any difference? I'm not thinking of speed differences, more about injury and recovery. If it doesn't make a difference then I won't do it this year. It's not like a hobby or anything... [:D]
  • I like my legs hairy. They keep me warm. But I agree that any back hair would definitely get waxed.

I can't believe that shaving makes that much difference - if it did then there's no way Tim Don would have kept his 118 moustache on for the World Championships. I suspect it's more a sort of initiation - i.e. belonging to the tri club. Doesn't it just get very itchy?

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    i only do it the summer other than that i just use my leg warmers.
    other than that i just use my leg warmers
    what...in bed?...just kidding.
  • in reply to bopomofo about specific products for men. Veet do a whole range of creams and wax'es for guys and for specific areas ( The Belly may be interested in that).

Tried one of the creamsm, works ok, but you cant beat a good razor!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I'm into tri's for 3 years, but I don't shave! (looks like aconfesion on a AA-meeting[:D]).

I really don't want to either, looks a little fancy to me, if you know what I mean.lol

I just love the feeling immediately after shaving...too much detail?
    [:D].......[:'(].........[:D]
    If we are not careful we get into the do shave besause you are a triathlete/cyclist, or re you a triathlete/cyclist so that you can shave....?
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    A years ago I won a load of Elite products including a box of depillli, depillllll, hair-remover it was about to out of date so I decided to use it all up. Since that I would extoll the virtues of getting rid of all the Winter coat and going for it.... As usual I have a logical list of reasons : 1.More aero, 2. Less pain during a massage, 3. More hygenic should you get cut/ fall etc 4. Easier to slip wetsuit on and off 4. You've made a statement along the lines of " I'm a serious athlete" so you end up living and performing like one - and I find the justification of my hairless state in the face of ridicule from sedentary non-athletes is a source of inspiration...every little helps!
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    Wow, didnt expect to get such a response. brilliant, thanks for all the replies everyone. think i'll give it a try before my first tri this year. but i'll make sure i've lost my gut so i dont look like some weirdo cross-dresser![sm=rolleyes.gif]
  • I once knew a Lady Triathlete who had this massive pubic hair problem, she was very 'manly'...so much so that she had pubes all the way down to her nuts.!

Be honest....you just shave and use Triathlon as an excuse to shave..

Just admit that you have a 'shaving fettish'

Happy shaving
    uh. ok. not too sure on biology, but if 'she' had nuts, then surely 'she' was actually a 'he'????[&:]
    Shaved her legs & then he was a she..she said hey babe take a walk on the tri side...
    Whats all this 'girle' talk about shaving??

I've said it before and I'll say it again - waxing is the way forward guys:

Not only do you get stripped off and have some (normally) good looking female get stuck into your legs but the hairlessness last for weeks before that pesky stubble starts coming through.

Trust me - you won't regret it!

lol![:D]
    waxed her legs & then he was she, I said het babe take a walk on the tri side..hmmm not quite got that swing, but since you mentioned the cute girl thing....the problem is now forgoing the blade long enough to allow enough hair to grow to be waxed.
  • waxing is great fun ! i'm not sure it makes me any faster , but you can see my tattoos better .
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Just to introduce a fact or two: in my earlier post I referred to having heard that you may be more likely to get glued rather than stitched if you were hair-free and got a serious injury. Also that recovery might be quicker.

I took the trouble to talk with a senior casualty nurse and also an anaesthetist. They both agreed that there is no difference in treatment or recovery in shaved vs. unshaved legs.

Sorry chaps, but that's one less excuse for us. I'd also discount the 'aero' excuse... if you are consistent enough for the 0.5 second difference over 40km to really count, then your coaching team will advise you on what to do, as you're probably already on the national team. [:D]

Personally, the only justification I could find now is that my wet-suit removes most of my leg hair anyway (Ouch) so the razor is less painful... still don't know if I can be bothered though.
    Fair point and well made Bopomofo but lets face it, none of really belive the excuses we make - we do it because it:

1) differentiates us from the 'civilians' out there, and,

2) it makes us look and feel flipping great!

Happy waxing guys (and girls!)

[sm=kiss.gif].....[:D]
  • Lance says (I've been reading Lance Armstrongs training manual) that you shave your legs on the bike so that if you fall and get gravel rash the hairs don't stick to the plaster and hurt... no aerodynamic properties whatsoever...

I'm a girl so I shave / wax anyways.

Can't believe how much you fellas are enjoying talking about it though! Next you'll be comparing moisteriser and talking about pink fluffly bows and puppie dogs haha
    Ahhh - moisturisers!

Tesco own brand aloe vera is my choice for the legs!

Can't beat it.

..and before you ask - I like girls!! [:D]

Superdrug baby lotion does it for me..
    Barbsarama wrote:

talking about pink fluffly bows and puppie dogs haha

Talk to middleofthepack, he actually owns a pink exercise ball!!![:D][:D]