Home Chat General Chat

Bike + Contact Lens =

GGGG Posts: 82
Hello,

Im having contact lens issues. Basically they keep escaping as im riding. I know another chap at the cycling club has the same issue. Anyone have any tips/ solutions apart from getting percription sunnies?

G

Comments

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    laser eye surgery...?
  • a4asha4ash Posts: 29
    I wore contacts for years, the daily disposables seem to be better for sport, i even used to surf in them and rarely lost one, have had laser eye surgery about 2 years ago and never looked back, it really is brilliant and i found it painless, i was back training after 2 days but you cant swim for about 3-6 months so better to get it done off season
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Have to agree with the surgery option - I had mine done 9 years ago. Flippin' superb.

I know the price is fairly high but it pays itself back over the long term, plus all the issues with swimming, discomfort, losing them etc, disappear.

Then you can buy any fancy-assed sunnies you like!
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    I have always had the same problem with lenses floating around my eyes particularly on the bike. I also find that when training at dusk it's likely. I use daily disposables and always carry a couple of spares with me. No real answers i'm afraid but keeping a good pair of shades and trying to keep the sweat out of your eyes. I may consider the laser after this season.
  • gruffymaxgruffymax Posts: 21
    I've been wearing contacts for about 8 years now. I personally have no troubles with cycling/ swimming etc. It does soundf like your eyes are drying out. Have you tried moisturising eye drops to help keep your eyes wet? This is all I can think of.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Apt thread, I'm in the throes of sorting out glasses problems -I'm -6 prescription. I've tried getting prescription Oakleys but they only go to -5 and even at none of the plastic sports frames are available so I've 3 choices .. 1. laser surgery - NO WAY, 2. insert lens using one and its' a pain, always getting steamed up 3. disposable contacts - apparently they are the answer you just have to get used to them, but my one question is .... can you use them when swimming?

• markc123markc123 Posts: 3
    Weird, I have never lost a lens in 15 years riding.... Are you wearing shades / clear glasses? My eyes dry out and get uncomfortable if I dont cover them when riding.

Otherwise try different lenses - the silicone hydrogel soft jobbies I have started using are more comfortable and put up with leaking goggles while swimming etc etc.

Treefrog - I always wear contacts + goggles when swimming. As I say the newer ones seem to stay in - had a few flooded masks while scuba diving and didnt lose them... Doubt they would last without goggles :-)

• GGGG Posts: 82
    Hi All,

Thanks for all your replys. Perhaps I do have dry eye sometimes. Generally on training rides its happy days but when I push it on time trials or decents (30+mph) my eyes water like mad and out they go! I do wear sunnies too!

Oh well. Im with tree frog on eye surgery, mainly becuase I cant afford the rent let alone getting the old blinkers zapped.

I could always go out Laurent Fignon style!!!???

G

• A lot of them are saying to go with eye surgery. We'll I'd go with the majority too. If you really love biking, buying dailys would really cost you. If you save up all the money you use to buy dailys you would save enough for the surgery. That's the best option, but the dailys are not taken out of the picture.