Home Chat General Chat

Swimming in Crowded Pools

Morning all,

I have a question. I am relatively new to triathlons and swimming, having only had a year semi participating in the sport (rower by trade).

I taught myself front crawl in my local London pool and recently learn't how to tumble turn as well (albiet not overly well). I got to the stage where I could quite happily swim 3k with tumble turns as a nice UT2 workout in just under an hour.

I have since moved to Rotterdam with work for 3 months and had about a month where I didn't swim whilst settling in and finding a pool. I have only been 3 times now in the last month (had a marathon to do, but now focusing on tri again) and can't seem to find the same relaxed rythmn. At first I thought it was just a case of building swimming stamina back up again, but now i'm wondering if its to do with how crowded the pool is.

In the UK I pretty much have a lane to myself, or maybe shared with one other person. There are at most 5-10 other people in the pool, none of whom really swimming lengths. In the pool here there are just 6 lanes for lengths with about 4 people per lane all swimming fast lengths. I have found an appropriate speed of lane for myself, but just find it really hard to get into my stride.

I have entered my first Ironman 70.3 in the UK this June so in many ways think the congestion will be good for me. However I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or experienced this. Alternatively my swimming fitness could have just really dropped, although that doesn't feel the case.

Many thanks,!

Jack

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    been there done that, like you I swim selectively at quiet times. Go to a coached session, nose to tail in the lane & my breathing goes of the scale & it takes ages to settle, to the point where I stopped going to coached sessions. However, open water swimmimg was my salvation, initially I was appalling, panic, breathing etc, now I am fine with it. If I could sort that out, my logic went then.... the coaches sessions still cause a little anxiety but I get into my stride/rhythm much quicker & get on with the session as coach intended. worked for me...now for a massed start open water swim...........aaaaaaaaaargh.
  • insideinside Posts: 22
    Go a few minutes after the session start

I find that if the session is say 7-8:30, 95% of people go 7-8

Going 7:30 - 8:30 means you are likely to have it to yourself for half an hour

• gruffymaxgruffymax Posts: 21
    Very frustrating for people who want to do distance. I have been at various times and have picked two or three of the quieter times of day, days of week etc. Wednesday and saturday mornings then for me!