Home Chat General Chat

Whats sculling

just got round to reading the latest 220 mag and there's an article in it on swimming with paddles and pull bouys... it mentioned about sculling and i ain't got a clue what this is.. i'm pretty sure it's not talking about rowing though...

can anyone enlighten me please

thanks PiP

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    That's easy sculing is the greatest, most brutal, most graceful, most painful, most addictive sport there is!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Sculling? We hates it.

Sculling is the swimming coach approved method of buggering up your triceps. My coach likes to combine it with other punishments such as breast-stroke arms with NO legs, doggy paddle, and breast-stroke while in a seated position (!).

So, basically you float on your back and propel yourself by fluttering your hands side-to-side in a figure-8 shape. You know the side to side movement your hands make when you are treading water? Like that.

You can vary it by keeping you elbows locked to your sides (more pain), or opening/closing the fingers.

We have very severe penalties for anybody caught kicking.... [:(]
  • Thanks for that BPMF - sounds delightful and just ready to be experienced.. I'm off down the pool!!!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Great exercise to create 'feel' for the water, well at least that is what they told me. a guy in my club, who was 2nd at the European championchip some years ago, swears by it. He has various positions to scull, he claims its essential for great swimming!!

I never did it myself though, although I should really give it a go sometimes soon.
    Rather amusingly (!) we did some sculling exercises last night after out 400m time-trial.

I mucked about trying different hand movements, positions etc. It is a good point about creating feel for the water. Maybe I should start trying to enjoy sculling rather than dreading it.

To slightly divert the topic of this thread: what's your favourite swimming drill i.e. which one do you think gives you the most benefit? For me it is a close thing between single arm swimming (I get a really good feeling for holding the water) and fist swimming (love the feeling of getting your catch back when you finally open your hands). Oh... then there's paddles, using just the front strap. I fixed my push and exit in about two lengths doing that.

Maybe I should start another thread?
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    It's got to be catch up for me Bopo - there is nothing better at increasing the reach of each stroke and making me really stretch.

Least favourite 2x20m blind! Hate it hate it hate it - always get caught up in the ropes or smack my hand on the end of the pool coz I got there too soon!

Swimming blind? Oh dear, what's THAT all about? Is it to teach you hard and painful lessons about swimming in a straight line, or about counting your strokes.

Actually, it would make sense for open water swim practice if you swam blind for say 5 strokes (10m?) with your eyes shut, then were allowed to take a sighting breath.

Does your coach blindfold you, or make you pull your swim hat over your eyes (giggle) or just trust your to keep them closed? I'd ask my coach about it, but have a feeling she'll make me do it...
  • Yeah, i like catch up as well, think you really get the feel of gliding in the water... also like fist swimming, it feels great once to open your hands again, almost like being released from a cage (i would imagine.. having never actually been caged)... mind you my coach calls the drill "fisting" and I'm sorry but that just ain't right!!!

Tried some of the sculling drills and nearly drowned, would you say these are an important part of the whole swimming thing??? But thanks everyone for your responses!!