Home Chat General Chat

Tri Clubs

LindsLinds Posts: 124
Hi all

As you may have noticed from my other posts I'm a total newbie with some running experience but no bike/swim experience.

I am thinking about joining a local Tri Club (I'm in Bristol so BAD Tri, Kingswood Tri seem to be my local clubs) but I don't want to appear a total pillcok from the off (although they are bound to notice eventually!) as I have only just started run training, haven't even been on a bike yet and only did my first swim (a worryingly knackering 20 lengths) at the weekend.

Should I hold off joining until I've down a few more swims, got a bike and done some more running. I guess for now I would be mostly attending the swim sessions and occasional bike session but don't want to upset people by being totally useless, getting in peoples way, "hogging" the coach and generally slowing everyone else up.

The flip side of this is that they can teach me the good techniques/habits early on, so I might not have to try and get rid of all the bad habits I will almost certainly pick up.

In short - would a 35 year old bloke fresh to tri get in your way/irritate you at your Tri Club training sessions?

Thanks

Linds

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Take the plunge and join,a good club will provide you with all the guidance you should need,a look on the Triathlon England website will give you a list of what each club provides,some have coaching sessions in all three disciplines others maybe only one or two so choose what suits you and if you don't like it move on.I see BAD tri did win a 220 award tho' so they can't be that bad.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Hi Linds

Can't speak for the club you are near to but as a 40+ newbie with little experience, I joined my local club and was made really welcome!

I'd say join now and get to meet some more people, find a good coach, get some encouragement etc etc and find out that most clubs are a bunch of ordinary folk!

Best of luck with the training
  • Hi Linds,

I'm a member of BADtri myself and although i mostly train alone due to work commitments i can reccommend Badtri. I've been on lots of club cycles which cater for all abilities and you'll be shocked how varied abilities are and also how accomodating they are.

If its mostly swimming your interested in then the head coach (andy bullock) runs 4 week courses for £50 which i did myself and simply by improving my technique my 1mile time came down from 39mins to 27mins!!!!! Its well worth it.

Lee

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Come on man , you're 35 years old. Why the doubt?? Join the club, you'll learn a lot and if you don't like it(which I don't expect), leave it.

I trained solo for 2 years, then joined a club. Learned a lot new things, did things you can't do alone,...

Give it a go. You already know Bristol now, I suppose he has to buy you a beer now after your first club training!!!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Any club will have a novice section/sessions..or should, after all novices are the sports future & we were all novices once, so go for it..in my experience there is always someone who is not as fast/fit/confident/competent etc as you are..and some one will always shepherd you home be it run, bike or errr swim.